FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-40%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-40% sur le Pack Gaming Mario PDP Manette filaire + Casque filaire ...
29.99 € 49.99 €
Voir le deal
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Pokémon EV06 : où acheter le Bundle Lot 6 Boosters Mascarade ...
Voir le deal

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Empty
MessageSujet: ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS   ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS EmptyVen 03 Aoû 2007, 22:32

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 »: FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS 02/08/2007 ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Pic25547 After my first paper about that milestone exhibition set in Paris since June 07, I thought I must deliver another one dealing with the women of Rock in display. Rock’n’Roll is too often seen like a male affair and many forget the fabulous gals who made such great records and played the game with heart and soul. In the 50’s, the records buyers were mostly young teenage gals real gone for those greasy rockers or smart looking cats and they often doesn’t cared for rockin gals.
« ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 »: FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS
WANDA JACKSON AND THE LITTLE GALS ARE ROCKIN

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS R

After my first paper about that milestone exhibition set in Paris since June 07, I thought I must deliver another one dealing with the women of Rock in display. Rock’n’Roll is too often seen like a male affair and many forget the fabulous gals who made such great records and played the game with heart and soul. In the 50’s, the records buyers were mostly young teenage gals real gone for those greasy rockers or smart looking cats and they often doesn’t cared for rockin gals. Maybe they saw them as “challengers” to them idols or find them vulgar or nasty but one thing is sure, it was harder for a gal to rock that world than for a male. But they done it and … gosh, they were hot! As the exhibit display things from 1939 to 1959, let’s start with Julia Lee in the 40’s.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Ruth%20Brown%2078%20rpms

Here in display are her Capitol 10 inches LP accurately tilted “Party Time”. Julia Lee was born in 1902 and was a great boogie singer. She recorded classic songs as “Gotta Gimme What’cha Got” or “Snatch It and grab It” who will find them way on Merrill Moore, a white Country Boogie piano player, repertoire few years later. By 1947 she was singing songs as “King Size Papa” (do you know what I mean?) or, in 1950, “When a man has two Women”. For sure, that gal told you straight what she had in her mind and she can boogie too! She died in 1958 and that exhibit close in 1959. Another Boogie Woogie wizard in display is Camille Howard who recorded for “Specialty” before Little Richard. In 1947, she recorded songs as “X-Temporaneous Boogie” or “Ferocious Boogie”. That’s clear enough … In 1956, in Chicago, she recorded for Vee-Jay a song titled “Rock’n’Roll Woman”. She sure deserves to be there!
ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Glenn%20pic%20(Country%20&%20West%20Jamb%20July%2056)

Next is Sister Rosetta Tharpe who was born in 1915 in Arkansas. In 1945, her “Strange Things Happening Everyday” climbs to the second spot on Race Hit Parade. Later that kind of music will be softly called “Sepia” or “R’n’B” by records manufacturers and labels. But it stayed hot and downhearted music dealing with the bad and the good. Sister Rosetta Tharpe was a favourite of Johnny Cash (himself from Arkansas) and Carl Perkins. With her loose delivery on stage she sure bring something to Rock’n’Roll! In the very same style, came also Mahalia Jackson, who does her first recordings in 1937. She had a lot of records on “Apollo” and “Columbia” but had to fight the uncomfortable position to sing sacred and profane songs.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS L.%20Baker%2045%20rpms

Also honoured are Big Maybelle and Little Esther with a fabulous poster from 1951 when she was working with Johnny Otis. Next come Ruth Brown and La Vern Baker, two R’n’B divas. Here we are deep in the late 40’s and the raise of the bright “Atlantic” sound. Lavern Baker was born in Chicago in 1929 and idolized Ella Fitzgerald. For “Atlantic”, she cut some classics songs like “Tweede Dee” (often sing on stage by young Elvis Presley in 1955), “Bop-Ting-A-Ling”, “Jim Dandy” or “Tra La La”. Those songs were all quickly covered by white pop performers like Georgia Gibbs, Patti Page or Pat Boone who often out sells her own records sales. Here’s in display a beautiful 1957placard for a concert with Fats Domino, The Crickets and Clyde Mc Phatter. Ruth Brown is honoured by a 1955 flyer for a Paramount Theater show with Bo Diddley and The Flamingoes, a 1958 poster for a show in Wichita (Kansas) and by a great live video of “Mama (he treats your daughter so mean)”. Ruth was born in 1928 and started to work with Lucky Millinder before a car wreck almost put her out the picture. Thanks to Cab Calloway sister she secured a deal with the new born “Atlantic’ label and soon charted with “So Long” or “Teardrops from my eyes”. Her songs were often covered, including by Country band or Rockabilly cats, and she was a main inspiration for the Rock’n’Roll kitten to come. Sadly Ruth passed away in November 2006 and I bet my Blue Suede Shoes she would have like that exhibition in Paris. She played here for several months in 1985 for “Black and Blue” musical. Those gals, like Big Mama Thornton or Memphis Minnie, were real bear cat mamas able to tell you to go wag your tail away if you were nothing but a Hound Dog! They set the way for the more rebelliousness sound of Wanda Jackson, Janis Martin or Charline Arthur.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Janis%20autographed%20EP
Here we come in the mid 50’s with some Country raised gals who liked that R’n’B beat and wanted to offer something different from the usual Country or Pop repertoire. Among them was Wanda Jackson, and Oklahoma native, who was guest at the Cartier Grand opening night on 20th June 2007. Wanda was there with her husband Wendell and offered a show to the VIP with Little Richard and Tina Turner. It was quite thrilled to see Wanda here more than 30 years after her first appearance at “The Olympia”, in Paris, in 1965. Since Wanda had rocked worldwide from Germany to Australia and Sweden.
ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS W.%20Jackson%2045%20rpm
Wanda was born in October 1937 in Maud, Oklahoma, and soon find her way on radio when still teenage. Thanks to Hank Thompson, a Western swing artist, she got a contract for “Decca” in March 1954 and recorded some great songs as “Lovin’ Country Style”, “Nobody’s darling” (A Jimmie Davis song) or “If you Don’t Somebody Else Will”, a hit for Shreveport’s duet Jimmy and Johnny . In July 1955, she will make her first concert with the young Elvis Presley in Cape Girardeau (Ms) and dated him in the next few months. The poster of that show is in display at the exhibit and worth the travel for him. That gal can proudly sing “I wore Elvis Presley ring” on her last CD titled “I Remember Elvis” … That’s true and that’s not only to milk the cow on the 30th passing anniversary. In June 1956, she will move for “Capitol” records and record her first sides with Joe Maphis and Buck Owens. She was voted Best New Female Singer beating up Janis Martin and Patsy Cline, two great names.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS W.%20Jackson%2078%20rpm
ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Wanda%20poster%201961

In September 1957, she will cover a 1954’s Annisteen Allen’s song titled “ Fujiyama Mama” who went great in Japan with the US troops. In April 1958, she will be back in studio with Merrill Moore on piano and recorded few country hits (Making Believe, Day Dreamin’), some R’n’R covers after taking advice from Elvis (Money Honey, Long Tall Sally), two killer compositions from her own pen (Mean Mean Man, Rock Your Baby) and her classic “Let’s Have A party”. Here you’ve got pure dynamite, real loose rock'n’roll with wild delivery and heavy beat and you can play it on the free Jukebox in display at the exhibit. Once you heard those songs … either you will never rock again or you will do for life. That’s just what happened to me and I’m still rockin.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Wanda%20UK%20EP
ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Pic25547

In 1959 she toured Japan and was treated like a Queen .By August 1960, her old recording “Party” became, Thanks to a Des Moines DJ’s, a big hit who reached Top 40. Quite surprising at a time when R’n’R was low and sounded old fashioned so, in October 1960, Wanda was back in studio with the support of guitar wizard Roy Clark and recorded Leiber & Stoller compositions as “Kansas City” and “Riot in cell block n°9”. Those two great composers are also honoured by the Cartier Fondation and helped to build those distinctive 50’s lyrics full of humour and double entendre words. The same week she also cut her classic “Right or Wrong” and covered Elvis “Hard Headed Woman”, Charlie Rich’s “Lonely Weekends” or LaVern Baker’s “Tweedle Dee”.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Img001
ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Wanda

She will be soon great attraction at The Golden Nugget in Las Vegas and will made her first show in France at The Olympia in March 1965. Since she toured worldwide and was recently in Australia and Sweden.

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS Photo_9

Twenty-two years later Wanda was back in Paris for the Cartier’s Exhibition grand opening and that rockin’ gal is not allowed at the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame. Believe it or not Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Tina Turner who guested that night are all members of the R’n’R Hall of Fame. J. Turner, B. Haley, C. Perkins, F. Domino, Elvis, L. Jordan, B. Holly or C. Berry, all honoured in Paris exhibit, are members since the mid 80’s. The last one standing here, looking at the window is the … one and only Wanda Jackson, the gal with the nasty voice who toured with and dated Elvis, shared stage with him shaking her own Pelvis, the threatening gal who had the guts to sing in the conservative 50’s “When I start erupting nobody can’t stop me” … If it is not a definitive Rock’n’Roll attitude and hot cooking music for wild teenage boppers, I am ready to hang up my boppin’ shoes. Last inducted in 2007 were Patti Smith and Blondie but … Wanda is still waiting on the jump seat. So stop that world and let me jump off, something goin’ wrong or I am plain crazy. So you, rockin’ cats from all around the word, join before the 2007 nominations on 11th September 2007, and send protestation letter to:

Joel Peresman
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
1290 Avenue of the Americas
2nd Floor
New York City, NY 101044
As you will have to spend a stamp, ask also for the nomination of Janis Martin who was forgotten at the exhib. Not really ‘cause on the 14th July 2007 Rock’n’Roll hop in the Fondation garden’s I have the pleasure to heard the DJ spin her “My Boy Elvis” recorded in 1956 for RCA. Nothing surprising it was a good boy working for “Rock and Roll Revue”, the best French rockin’ magazine. We sure danced with my wife and enjoyed to hear her great voice blowing from the speakers. Way back in the mid 70’s we were many to think they was three Rockabilly Queens: Wanda Jackson, Janis Martin and Brenda Lee. I still believe it and I was glad to see Wanda welcomed at the Cartier’s Exhib grand opening. Now we just have to fight to have her on that Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame where she belong. As sung by the late great Carl Perkins in “Dixie Fried” : Rave On, Dan, flash your razor if you’re unshaved … Quite threatening for those big wheels. They must have forgotten about the rebelliousness of that 50’s music and the hot spicy voice of Wanda … The Queen of them all!

If you dig my style, help Wanda to be inducted and don’t forget to visit the Cartier Exhibition in Paris. That’s a must and a great experience for anybody who like to know about Rock’n’Roll and his roots from 39 to 59.

See you later, gators!

Dominique “Imperial” ANGLARES

SOURCE

http://www.bartemon.net/dossiers/dossiers.php?id_dossier=232&PHPSESSID=3cbbee7cae9133ae06dc57c452f49983
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

ROCK’N’ROLL 39-59 » FONDATION CARTIER’S EXHIBITION IN PARIS
Page 1 sur 1