FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -39%
Pack Home Cinéma Magnat Monitor : Ampli DENON ...
Voir le deal
1190 €

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 Empty
MessageSujet: TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007   TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 EmptyMer 07 Nov 2007, 17:34

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 Mvc58fHTclose
HANK THOMPSON STARTS HIS SHOW.

When Hank Thompson took the stage, it did not take long for him to have the audience appreciating their fortune in being able to see him perform in person: he is still great, gracious and gregarious. Hank, who I believe is about 6 foot 6, was always an imposing presence, and even at age 77, could fool many people with his appearance, always well dressed, sporting the kind of outfits that Nudie (you can see an older picture of Hank in a Nudie suit in my article about Nudie, www.rockabillyhall.com/BarryKNudie.html) used to make for him, and possessing a ruggedly handsome face that has for many years sported a mustache and goatee.

In addition to Hank bringing his own steel guitarist, lead guitar player, and violinist, Bones Maki & the Sun Dodgers, as well as Keith Jason, joined Hank and played with him on stage. During his set Hank played many of his big hits including (I've Got A) "Humpty Dumpty Heart" (recorded originally before 1950), "A Six Pack to Go", "Oklahoma Hills", "The Older the Violin, The Sweeter the Music", "Whoa Sailor", and of course, his immensely popular classic, "The Wild Side of Life" ("I Didn't Know God Made Honky Tonk Angels"). Besides being a mega-hit for Hank, who penned many of his own top-sellers, this blockbuster catalyzed the first of the famous "Answer Songs" when Kitty Wells had her own success with "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels".

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 HankThmpsnTourPlaine
HANK THOMPSON AND HIS TOUR PLANE EARLIER IN HIS CAREER - HANK'S A PILOT TOO!

For rockabilly fans, Hank Thompson is known as the man who discovered Wanda Jackson, giving Wanda her first big break by taking her on the road and including her in his shows, not to mention securing a recording contract with Capital Records.

Throughout his musical performance, Hank spoke to the crowd about some of his history and the audience was getting as much of a kick out of his stories as they were enjoying his very distinctive and easy-to-listen-to voice.

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 HankThmpsnBrazosBys
HANK THOMPSON AND HIS BRAZOS VALLEY BOYS.

Musically, Hank Thompson was known for his trend-setting development of the western swing sound popularized by the late Bob Wills just before Hank formed a legendary band (with its own web site), the Brazos Valley Boys, which included another legend, Merle Travis, on guitar. The Brazos is a river running through Waco, Texas, which is Hank's hometown. When Hank did his own answer song to "Goodnight, Irene", "Wake Up, Irene", he received special dispensation from the Grand Ole Opry to repeat the snare drum sound when he performed it there. Many people mistakenly believe that Elvis was the first performer to be permitted to use a drum at the Grand Ole Opry.

To my knowledge, only Lefty Frizzell has been previously honored as a country singer with a twelve CD boxed set by Bear Family Records (I am excluding a few other country artists who have cumulatively exceeded 12 CD's in more than one boxed set), and this set has received four stars on every review I have ever read.

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 Mvc584fHankTsinatgph
HANK HOSTS THE LONG AUTOGRAPH LINE AFTER HIS SHOW.

During his performance, Hank Thompson modestly indicated that he had read that the only other million selling recording artist to be active for seven straight decades was Frank Sinatra, and I can honestly state that seeing and listening to Hank Thompson on November 2, 2002 was a truly unforgetable experience, and I am thankful of the fortune for not only seeing and hearing Hank Thompson perform in person, but HE'S STILL GOT IT!!

Barry Klein - bmk@bmkre.com

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 HankTmpsnWebSite
HANK THOMPSON PUBLICITY PHOTO

COURTESY OF www.hankthompson.net.

He was born on September 3, 1925, but that's not really important. What is important is that Henry William Thompson, more commonly known as Hank Thompson, is still pleasing legions of old fans and making new ones in his seventh decade as a professional country music entertainer.

There sure are many giants in the country music business named Hank, including Hank Williams, Hank Jr. (we'll have to give Shelton, more commonly known as Hank III, a little more time to attain greatness), Hank Locklin, Hank Cochran, Hank Penny, etc., but Country Music Hall of Famer Hank Thompson deserves to be near the top of the "Hank" list or any other list pertaining to country and western music.

Although I had seen Hank Thompson on television and possess his Capital "Vintage Collections" CD with 20 of his hits, I saw Hank Thompson live in concert for the first time on Saturday, November 2, 2002 in Westland, Michigan. The show, produced by the Westland Police Officers Association, The Wayne-Ford Civic League, and radio station WSDS 1480AM from Ypsilanti, Michigan, was recorded live by WSDS and replayed the next day.

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/barryhanktlive.html

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 Hankthompson

Welcome to the
Official Hank Thompson Web Site

TRIBUTE TO HANK THOMPSON September 3, 1925 - November 6 2007 Logo
"The King of Western Swing"
There's a new star in Heaven
Hank Thompson
September 3, 1925 - November 6, 2007
Hank, you will be missed.
There will be a celebration of Hank's life and all
of his fans are invited. The event will be held on