FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-28%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Brandt LVE127J – Lave-vaisselle encastrable 12 couverts – L60cm
279.99 € 390.99 €
Voir le deal

« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S PARIS

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS Empty
MessageSujet: « MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S PARIS   « MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS EmptyDim 03 Fév 2008, 17:22

« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S (PARIS)

« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS Graham

Here's a small report about Matchbox gig at the Billy Bob's, yesterday nite.
To make a nice follow-up to The Flying Saucers show set in November 07, the Billy Bob’s welcomed yesterday nite the legendary British band Matchbox. That’s a long story who came as far as 1976 when Rockhouse, a record label from Holland, bring that bunch of guys in studio for them LP “Rider in the Sky”. From the original band that cut that great LP are still Steve Bloomfield (gtr/vcl) and Fred Poke (bs/vcl). Graham Fenton (lead vocal), after being member of the Houseshakers who backed Gene Vincent in 1970 and 1971 and, later member of the Hellraisers, joined the band in 1977 as have done Jimmy Redhead (dms) and Gordon Scott (gtr), at first members of The Cruisers.
« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS Graham%20Fenton%20white
Those old guys were ready to rock our soul when they on stage around 10.00 pm with Gordon Scott opening with the classic “Promised Land”. Then came Graham Fenton clothed with a leather pant and a nice white country styled jacket. He started strong with the Tiny Bradshaw/Burnette Brothers all-time great “The Train Kept a Rollin’” before goin’ to “Put a Blame on Me”. Next song was the great “Babes in the wood” followed by Freddy Cannon’s “Buzz Buzz a Diddle It”. From there came the beautiful Crickets (post-Holly) ballad “When You ask About Love”. That song written by Jerry Allison and Sonny Curtis was first issued on Brunswick in 1959 and had bring Matchbox in the British charts in 1980. A highlight of the nite followed by Don Gibson anthem “Oh Lonesome Me”.
« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS CIMG8571
After a clothes change, Graham came back with a black leather waistcoat and a silver chain around his neck to paid tribute to his idol Gene Vincent. Having worked with that rockin’ legend had made a big impact on Graham who always paid a fine tribute to Gene, the Screaming End. He started to rock us with “Baby Blue”, a Gene’s favourite until his death in 1971, followed by “Lotta Lovin’” with hand clap. The crowd was on cloud number nine when came “Be Bop a Lula” and “Over the Raimbow”. A fine tribute to the Virginia skinny guy who changed our lives.
There was more to come with “Marie, Marie”, “Hurricane”, “Tore Up” and the all time boppin’ “Teenage Boogie”. Doin’ that old classic first recorded by Webb Pierce in 1956 and covered by Matchbox on them first LP, they had the crowd on them palms. Everybody was singing along “Teenage Boogie, Hi, Hi ... Teenage Boogie, Ho, Ho … Teenage Boogie on Saturday Nite”. A great tribute to the Louisiana Hayride followed by Hank Williams classic “Sittin’ the Woods on Fire”.
« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS CIMG8572
It was time to get back to them straight Rockabilly repertoire with “Rockabilly Rebel” and “Midnight Dynamos”. Those songs raised hollers and there were people boppin’ and shouting around like at the Country Festival, in Paris (April 1981), where they shared the stage with Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. Then I never dreamed there will ever be a Disney Ressort in Paris and lesser than I will see that band for free in 2007 here.
« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS CIMG8573
Time goes fast in such good company and it was soon time for them to leave the stage after a medley of “Old Black Joe/Whole Lotta Shaking Goin’ on/Little Queenie/Bird Dog”. One of the last song was Clarence “Frogman” Henry’s own “Ain’t got no Home” originally recorded for “Argo”.
Most of those songs can be find on them 2006 CD issued on Warner Music and accurately titled “The Platinum Collection”. So I f you don’t have it yet, that could be a perfect souvenir of that rockin’ nite.
« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S  PARIS CIMG8577
Once the show was over, the band came to meet the crowd and share lotsa souvenirs about Gene Vincent and them own various concerts all around Europe. I was pleased to give to Graham two scarce 70’s pictures of him sent to me by Ricky from Evian, a devoted fan of the British sound an a long time friend. We talked together about Steven Mandich’s book “Sweet Gene Vincent” and I can’t tell you enough to buy that book in a hurry. A great one! The band kindly gave to the crowd some colour pictures to be autographed and enjoyed to shoot pictures with young and old fans. After a friendly chat with Steve Bloomfield it was time to head back to my car and to trade my drape jacket for my black leather jacket.
“Matchbox” obviously enjoyed the older fans and won some new among the teenage crowd who was there. It don’t take but a few minutes to them to show them than “Matchbox” could be hotter than a small box of matches in fire.
Dominique “Imperial” ANGLARES.
link to the site
http://bartemon.net/dossiers/dossiers.php?id_dossier=250&PHPSESSID=4082cc4e9febe529537df2e1da2de3ed
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

« MATCHBOX » AT THE BILLY BOB’S PARIS
Page 1 sur 1