FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-50%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache
64.99 € 129.99 €
Voir le deal

DICK PENNER

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

DICK PENNER Empty
MessageSujet: DICK PENNER   DICK PENNER EmptySam 31 Mai 2008, 15:45

DICK PENNER DickPennerHdr
Updated May 30, 2008

"OOBY DOOBY": A DICK PENNER SONG!

DICK PENNER DickandDave26dec53
Dick and Dave, December 26, 1953

For sure, lots of us enjoyed the movie "Walk The Line", but how many had noticed all those 50's Sun recordings played in the background as by Billy Lee Riley or Dick Penner? I wonder how many watchers noticed "Bop Bop Baby" sung by Dick Penner and Wade Moore? That record was issued by Sam Phillips (Sun 269), in April 1957, under the name of Wade & Dick "The College Kids" but their contribution to the Rockabilly Sound was more important than you might believe as they were the original composers of ... "Ooby Dooby". Let me tell you Dick Penner's story.

DICK PENNER DPenner1953unseen (Right: Never before published 1953 photo)
Allen Richard (Dick) Penner was born in Chicago (IL) in 1936 shortly before his family moved to Texas. As soon as 1953, he started having local gigs with a musical partner named Dave Young. Together they performorned at the Big D Jamboree doin' some Johnny and Jack songs. Dick enrolled into North Texas State University in Denton (TX) where he met, in 1955, Wade Lee Moore. Wade was born in Amarillo in 1933. Soon they found their way to The Big D Jamboree were they sang 25th June 1955, two classic R'n'B songs "Hey, Miss Fanny" and "Dance with Me Henry". That day they shared the stage with Charline Arthur, Sonny James and Jimmy Patton to name a few. One week earlier, they were probably there too as Dick remember well Elvis coming late on stage after a date in West Texas. They also played various dates in Hope (AR), Little Rock (AR) and Dallas (TX).

The North Texas State University was a real cradle of rock'n'roll singers. Among the pupils were Roy Orbison, The Strikes, Bob "Git It" Kelly and even ... Pat Boone. In February 1955, Wade and Dick composed "Ooby Dooby", in fifteen minutes on the roof of the frat house, but nothing happened even when Roy Orbison recorded the song. That demo was sent to Don Law, a Columbia Records representative, in vain with "Hey, Miss Fanny" as B-side. However, Roy and The Teens Kings keep faith on the song and they will often perform it on stage. Soon Weldon Rodgers, himself a great singer, wanted to set a up session in Norman Petty's studio in December 1955. "Ooby Dooby" b/w "Tryin' to Get to You" was issued on JE-WEL 101. That label was named from the first letters Jean Olivier (daughter of Weldon's label associate) and Weldon. The record was manufactured in Phoenix (AR) and, in spite of good sales, Roy Orbison was still lookin' around for fame and fortune on a major label.

At last, Roy's demo/record came between the hands of Sid King and The Five Strings who recorded the song for Columbia, on 5th March 1956. The session in Dallas and worked fine. One month earlier, as the same band had covered Carl Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes". Sam Phillips should have watching for them next record. In spite of the JE-WEL contract, Sam Phillips took on Roy and his band. A battle followed in court and the JE-WEL contract was cancelled as not signed by Roy's folks because he was still underage. The JE-WEL records had to be released from the records shops too. That's now a real rare record often gets bootlegged. So be aware if you are looking for one vintage copy.

DICK PENNER DickPennerpic1 On 27th March 1956, a Roy Orbison's session was at 706 Union Avenue. Sam Phillips was disappointed by the result and gave a phone call to Weldon Rogers in order to buy the JE-WEL master. Weldon asked for a so high price than Sam Phillips issued what he got on the Sun 242. In June 1956, "Ooby Dooby" climbed to #59 in Billboard's Hot 100 and quickly sold over 500 000 copies. Some covers followed, the better being recorded by Rockabilly Queen Janis Martin for RCA records.

The "Ooby Dooby" success led Sam Phillips to sign Dick Penner and Wade Moore on his label. On 10th September 1956, a composer contract for two songs was signed between Sam and Dick Penner. On the same date, an artist contract was signed between Sam and Dick & Wade for one year with an option and eight sides to be recorded. That contract offered 3% royalty to the artists. On 16th December 1956, they recorded "Bop Bop Baby" issued on Sun 269 b/w "Don't Need you Lovin'". The record was on the market in April 1957 becoming the release on Sun Records after Warren Smith's "Miss Froggie". That's "Bop Bop Baby" you heard in "Walk The Line"! Other songs from the session were a solo version of "Don't Need Your Lovin' Baby" by Dick and "Wild Woman", a song they often did on stage. On those four recordings the backing is provided by The College Kids (often spelled The Kollege Kids) the insicive guitar is played by Bob Izer with the support of Don Hicky (bs) and Roger Berkley (drums).

A solo session for Dick Penner was on 19th February 1957 and "Cindy Lou" b/w "Your Honey Love" (Sun 282) would be his last record on the legendary Memphis label. That record was issued 3th November 1957, the same day than Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Ball of Fire" single (Sun 281).

DICK PENNER DPennerBand56
Band, 1956

In the mid 70's, two unissued songs "Fine Little Baby" b/w "Move Baby Move" were legally issued in France from the famous Sun label (Sun 615). Since then Dick Penner's recorded work is featured in countless Rockabilly records and even a new vinyl singles. The Norton label released "Move Baby Move" in 2005. For that session, the only member change was Don Gilliland on guitar instead Bob Izer.

In 1958, Dick Penner, then with a record on his own, appeared on the Louisiana Hayride, at The Big D Jamboree and even on Dick Clark's show. But, after a six month stay in the army, he made the choice to get back at the University and to become literature professor at the University of Tennessee.

Dick Penner's longterm friend, Susan, is a retired Professor of History and an artist. His older son, Richard, is a sales engineer for Trane Co., and will compete in the Ironmay triathalon in Austria, in July, 2007. His younger son, Gregory, is co-owner of a busing company, and is an accomplished song writer, vocalist, and guitarist. Dick is grateful to have five grandchildren.

.../...
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

DICK PENNER Empty
MessageSujet: Re: DICK PENNER   DICK PENNER EmptySam 31 Mai 2008, 15:47

DICK PENNER DPennerautographOobyDooby DICK PENNER DPennerSun615

Now Dick is retired, travelling around the world and taking very artistic pictures, but his music is still played worldwide. "Ooby Dooby" is a classic song and was even covered by "Creedence Clearwater Revival" in the late 60's. Recently, Jerry Naylor (a former member of The Crickets) released a set a wonderful collection of CD's and a double DVD titled "The Rockabilly Legends: A Tribute to My Friends". Here you will find first class stuff from Carl Perkins to Gene Vincent via Roy Orbison to name few of the performers featured. And, guess why ... you will heard loud and clear "Ooby Dooby" by Roy but also performed by Jerry Naylor, as tribute. Backed by first class musicians, Jerry offers a great and fresh rendition of that classic ... Wade & Dick song!

It was cool to heard them on "Walk The Line" 'cause behind the Sun's Kings there was a lot of foot soldiers who deserve more recognition for their valuable work. Among them Billy Lee Riley, Mack Self or Kenny Parchman to name a few. Let's enjoy the musical work of those "unknown legends" and Rock for one more century.

Camille Daddy
Brest Rock'n'Roll Appreciation Society.
Invité
Invité

DICK PENNER Empty
MessageSujet: Re: DICK PENNER   DICK PENNER EmptySam 31 Mai 2008, 15:50

DICK PENNER MyTurntable1959

Follow-Up Post by Camille Daddy
"OOBY DOOBY",
DICK PENNER VISIT PARIS ­
MAY 2008

"Sun" record legend, Dick Penner was in Paris (France) with his friend Susan, from May 6 to May 19, 2008 for some holidays. Dick, retired professor of literature at the University of Tennessee in 1999, and Susan, retired professor of history were here to enjoy museums and historic places. They are quite world travellers having yet visited Nova Scotia, Holland, Belgium, Greece and, once, France in June 2006. Being in touch with Dick since November 2004 and having worked his Rockabilly Hall of Fame web page in August 2006, I was just a "never seen friend". So we set a friendly meeting in the oldest café in Paris, Le Procope, for a luncheon on May 12, 2008. What a thrill to be in front of Saint Michael's fountain waiting for those friends from Tennessee with a couple of records sleeves and my camera because when I was a teenager I was buyin' my first rock'n'roll records on shops located near that place ... and I still do! I bought my Dick Penner's Sun 615 "Fine Little Baby"/"Move Baby Move", from Charlie Barbat, not far from that place around 1978. Then it cost me frs.15,00 what made $ 3.50 in US money. Then I was working for $ 1.50 an hour what mean I had to work over two hours to get that little piece of 45 rpm's vinyl. I had heard complaint about records being too expansive today ... I wonder how many people still work or are ready to work two hours to get two songs. Different times but, for sure, still a deep passion for 50's music who explain how some of my dreams could came true 30 years later.

DICK PENNER DickVivianeSusanB1

The first "Sun" cat I ever meet in Paris was Warren Smith in November 1979 and then I carried my "Miss Froggie" 78 rpm's. For that new meeting, I bring my Charly 501 ten inches record "Rock It, Baby, Rock" were Dick is featured with two songs. Great sleeve with a pic from that classic 1957 movie and Dick' name in front. I will have it back at home autographed even if in March 2005 Dick wrote me "Enclosed is another signed record sleeve for you. This is the last one that I wish to autograph". Ah, Ah! Buddy, you never now what future could bring to you. Some things are just matter of time and love. Then Dick probably thought there was monkey business goin' on Œcause how a French guy could have so many records and still care for those 50's recordings?

After a short walk, we took our table at Le Procope were we could enjoy many vintage books and old letters in display. That café, who opened in 1686, had among his customers Benjamin Franklin, Voltaire, Jean-Jacques Rousseau or Alfred de Musset. How can we find a better place for retired professors of literature and history? Le Procope is a real historic place just like "Sun" studio on 706 Union Avenue in Memphis but for different kind of art.

Allen Richard (Dick) Penner, born in 1936, had a lot to tell us about his musical journey that brings him and his partner Dave Young at The Big D Jamboree in 1953. They used to do Johnny & Jack's songs with some comedy routines. A couple of years later, at the Denton's North Texas State University, he will meet and team with Wade Moore as Wade and Dick. Together they wrote in February 1955, the classic rock'n'roll song "Ooby Dooby" who find his way to Roy Orbison's ears. Then Dick loved the Rhythm and Blues sound and he still thinks Clyde McPhatter voice being unsurpassed. "Money Honey" is one of the first R'n'B song he remember and he often played on stage "Dance With Me Henry" or "Hey, Miss Fanny", an original from The Clovers. Talking about that group he even sang us acapella part of "One Mint Julep", another of them classic song.

Dick helped Roy Orbison and the Wink Westerners to have a demo of "Ooby Dooby" and "Hey, Miss Fanny" recorded at Jim Beck's studio in Dallas and sent to Don Law at "Columbia" records. That demo failed for Roy but find his way on Sid King & The Five Strings hands who recorded "Ooby Dooby" for Columbia records on March 5, 1956. Dick really digs that version with a bass voice intro and great vocal acrobatics.

DICK PENNER DickWadewElvis06181955 . DICK PENNER DickPenneradvert1958

During 1955, Wade and Dick guested the WFAA-TV Show in Dallas and made several appearances at The Big D Jamboree. They played there with Joe Poovey, Charline Arthur, Sonny James and Elvis Presley on June 18, 1955. Dick remembers well Elvis being late on stage after travelling from a date in Stamford (West Texas), the previous day.

Finally, Roy Orbison got "Ooby Dooby" cut in Norman Petty's studio and issued on "Je-Wel 101" backed with "Tryin' To Get To You", a song recorded by Elvis at "Sun" but not issued then. That record was issued on March 19, 1956 and "Ooby Dooby" came to Sam Phillips attention through Cecil ŒPop' Holifield who operated the Record Shop in Midland and Odessa (Tx). Sam saw here a novelty song that could get some attention so he brings Roy, then underage, out of his "Je-Wel" contract. On March 27, 1956, Roy and The Teen Kings were booked at Sun to re-cut the song and "Go, Go, Go", as B-side, whose copyrights were assigned to Hi-Lo Music. The song was soon breaking in Memphis and other market climbing to # 59 in Billboard's Hot 100. Roy hit the road as part of package show headlined by Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. Dick said about Carl Perkins: I agree about the importance of Carl Perkins to the development of Rockabilly and Rock and Roll. His sound was truly unique. I loved Blue Suede Shoes in the 50's.

The "Ooby Dooby" success led Sam to sign Dick Penner and Wade Moore on his records label in September 1956. On Dec 16, 1956 they were on studio to record four sides but only "Bop Bop Baby" and "Don't Need Your Lovin'" (Sun 269) were issued on April 1957. "Someday Baby" and "Wild Woman" stayed in the vaults. "Bop Bop Baby" was reviewed in Billboard (May 27, 1957) as a strong selling job with a rhythmic message that should appeal to the kids. Since that song became a classic Sun Rockabilly song and was used in Johnny Cash's movie "Walk The Line" in 2006. Susan still remembers how she was thrilled when Knox Phillips, Sam's son, called them on the phone, in 2005, for using "Bop Bop Baby" in the movie.

A solo session for Dick Penner was set on February 19, 1957 to record four new sides. Two of them, "Cindy Lou" and "Your Honey Love", were issued on Sun 282 in November 1957. Unfortunately, at the same time Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Ball of Fire" (Sun 281) was marketed and probably overshadowed Dick's record. Nevertheless, Dick was doin' well play the Big D Jmaboree and Dick Clark's show in June 1958. He also remembers playing a package show, probably in February 1957, with Gene Vincent in Shreveport. He remembers Gene like having very greasy hair and looking like a Zoot suiter with broad lapels on his coat witch was cut long. They played again together in March 1958 at the Dallas North Side Coliseum that time with Gene Summers, Dee and Patty and Al Jones. Thanks for that info Gene and good luck for your "Reminisce Café" CD! Ho

wever after a six month months stay in the US Army, he made the choice to get back at the University and become literature professor. Nevertheless, his song was still covered in the 60's by Ronnie Hawkins, Mat Lucas or Creedence Clearwater Revival. In 1979, legendary Rockabilly pioneer Charlie Feather recorded his own version and even named his pet dog "Ooby Dooby". Recently, Jerry Naylor recorded his own cover of that song for his CD's "The Rockabilly Legends: A Tribute to My Friends" and Bobby Lollar, a vintage 50's rocker, used the song title in his fine tribute to the pink & black days titled "I'm Reliving The 50's".

Dave and Deke covered the "Sun" unissued recording "Wild Woman" and Dick's Sun 615 "Fine Little Baby"/"Move Baby Move" is now a much sought after collector item being issued only at 1100 copies in 1977. In September 2006, for Susan's 50th High School reunion, they visited Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame where is set a reproduction of "Sun" studio. Here Dick got one record in display ... but was not allowed to take any picture.

DICK PENNER DPFlyboatD1 . DICK PENNER DPLeProcopeD1

Before leaving Le Procope to enjoy a fly boat cruise on the river Seine, Dick told me about Colin Escott visit in Tennessee around 1986. They sat out in Susan's backyard beneath a tree and talked for hours for the Sun boxed set "The Rocking Years". Colin was quite accurate in recounting what Dick told to him and I can't tell you enough to have an eye on his work. If you don't have it, buy in a hurry "Good Rockin' Tonight", written with Martin Hawkins with Peter Guralnick's foreword.

Since years, those guys paved the way for my writings ... If you want to know more about Rockabilly music goes to www.rockabillyhall.com or www.bartemon.net. Those web sites give since long support to the 50's music and keep that old world still rockin' and rollin'. Without them support I will probably never have meet Dick and Susan and ... you'll have miss that story about that very kind friend who like Scottish Salmon, spinaches and Mediterranean food! Remind me the rockin' "Deep Sea Ball" from the late Clyde Mc Phatter. Deep in the ocean at the catfish hall, all those fishes had a deep sea ball ... they were rockin' and rollin'. For sure, Mister Salmon and the Lobster sure could have done the "Ooby Dooby"!

Dominique "Imperial" ANGLARES Sound of the 50's.

DICK PENNER DickPennerBillboard1

DICK PENNER WadeDickSuncontract
Dick and Dave Sun Contract

Page Upated May 30, 2008

Source : http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DickPenner.html
Invité
Invité

DICK PENNER Empty
MessageSujet: Re: DICK PENNER   DICK PENNER EmptySam 31 Mai 2008, 15:53

DICK PENNER Penner_dick
DICK PENNER Penner_d

DICK PENNER F20 Chanteur Rockabilly US né en 1936, originaire de Chicago (Illinois), Dick Penner a débuté en 1957 à la Sun Records de Memphis (Tennessee). Il a aussi enregistré avec Wade Moore dans le duo Wade & Dick, toujours à la Sun. En 1990, Dick était professeur d'anglais à Knoxville (Tennessee).

DICK PENNER Uk20 Dick Penner isn't exactly a household name, even in rockabilly circles, but any man who could co-write a classic like "Ooby Dooby" has carved some kind of a place for himself in the history of the music. Despite his having been born in Chicago, Dick Penner got a shot at being an authentic country music and rockabilly legend when he was a year old and his family moved to Dallas, TX. It was there that he was exposed to country music on the radio, and by age 16 he'd taken up the guitar. At 18 he entered North Texas State University in Denton, TX, where he hooked up with Wade Moore and later met Roy Orbison, who at that time was leading a group called the Wink Westerners, who subsequently transformed themselves into the Teen Kings.

In collaboration with Moore, Penner co-authored a song called "Ooby Dooby," which Orbison and his band later turned into one of the best-selling rockabilly singles of all time at Sun Records. Making the switch from country music to rock & roll, Penner and Moore formed a duo and recorded for Sun in 1957, sometimes as Wade & Dick and sometimes as the College Kids. Wade & Dick recorded six songs, and Penner did a handful of songs on his own, all of which displayed a hard, youthful edge and were aimed at the new teen market, but none of them were notably successful. Penner's three singles (on at least one of which he shared guitar chores with Don Gilliland), "Move Baby Move," "Fine Little Baby," and "Someday Baby," all seemed to hook around a certain thematic similarity. They weren't in a league with "Ooby Dooby," however, which made a respectable showing on the national charts in Orbison's hands and has since come to be regarded as a classic of the genre. Moore continued working in music with Orbison, but Penner decided on a career in academia and reportedly became a professor of English.
Talents : Singer, Guitar
Style musical : Rockabilly

CINDY LOU DICK PENNER Speaker
FINE LITTLE BABY DICK PENNER Speaker (Sun unissued)
DICK PENNER Radio
Années en activité :

DISCOGRAPHIE
Single

12/1957SP SUN 282 (US)Cindy Lou DICK PENNER Speaker / Your Honey Love
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin
Date de naissance : 05/12/1964