FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -20%
(Adhérents Fnac) Enceinte Bluetooth Marshall ...
Voir le deal
199.99 €

Carolina Cotton

2 participants
AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 10:18

Carolina Cotton CCottonHDR

Known by such nicknames as the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell, Westerns First Lady and the All-American Girl, Carolina Cotton came from humble beginnings and became a prolific entertainer in the Golden Era of Western Swing music and B movies, soundies, radio shows and early television. Her fun, lively "pretty little girl next door" personality made her a favorite with Western fans worldwide. She made numerous live appearances, including parades and rodeos. Her countless contributions at charity benefits had earned her the title of "Miss Good Samaritan". Most of all, she was known for her unique style of yodeling, and was considered a World Champion by many in the field.

Carolina Cotton CCottonA

Carolina Cotton was born Helen Hagstrom on October 20th, 1925 and raised on the family farm in her native town of Cash Arkansas. The family relocated to San Francisco by 1937. As a youngster she joined the O'Neille Sisters Kiddie Revue, and started performing at the Golden Gate Theater. She went on to sing, yodel and play a few instruments in Dude Martin's Roundup Gang, performing on Bay Area stations KPO and KYA. Martin encouraged her to change her name to "Carolina".

A chance meeting with Johnny Marvin in Los Angeles led to Carolina relocating to Hollywood in 1944, and joining the Spade Cooley Orchestra, where she was the featured female vocalist/yodeler. She was only known as "Carolina" at the time, and still needed a last name. Cooley's manager, Bobbie Bennett (who also later became Cotton's manager) held a contest to pick a last name for the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell, and Cotton was the winner. The band played regularly at LA's Riverside Rancho club, and appeared on the popular radio show "Hollywood Barn Dance", on local station KNX. That same year she appeared in the B Western films "Sing Neighbor Sing" for Republic Pictures (Roy Acuff), Universal's "The Singing Sheriff" (Bob Crosby) and PRC's "I'm From Arkansas" (Slim Summerville). In 1945 she signed with Columbia Pictures, filming "Outlaws of the Rockies", (one of 3 Durango Kid/Charles Starrett pictures), and "Texas Panhandle" At that time Carolina also made several film shorts and soundies with Cooley and Merle Travis.

After filming "Outlaws", Carolina realized she should learn to ride horses. Like anything else she did, she gave it her all, and soon became an Outstanding Horsewoman, and appeared in several equestrian events ... rodeos, horse shows and parades. She often rode as Grand Marshalette.

In 1945 Carolina secretly married Cooley bassist Deuce Spriggins. The two left the band, and formed Deuce Spriggins Orchestra (several of Cooley's band members also migrated to this group). The new band also featured Andy Parker and the Plainsmen Trio. They performed nightly at Santa Monica Pier's Western Palisades Ballroom, one of the largest dance halls on the West Coast. Like the Spade Cooley Orchestra, they made soundies, shorts and appeared in 4 films: "Song of the Prairie", "That Texas Jamboree", "Cowboy Blues" and "Singing on the Trail" ... all with Ken Curtis, and the Hoosier Hot Shots. They recorded 1 release for Mercury Records, "What's the Matter With You" / "I Been Down in Texas". But by 1946, Cotton and Spriggins had divorced, and the Spriggins Orchestra dissolved.

Carolina briefly performed with Hank Penny in '46 back at the Riverside Rancho, and soon signed with King Records. The session produced 2 of her self-penned signature songs, "Three Miles South of Cash in Arkansas", and "I Love to Yodel". She appeared on the Armed Forces Radio Service show "Ranch House Party" along with Ken Curtis, Cottonseed Clark and others. Carolina eventually guest starred on several radio and early television programs (some were her own shows).

In 1947, she toured with Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, and made another film, "Smoky River Serenade" (Hoosier Hot Shots). Among her radio appearances was on the long-running series "KMPC Westerners" (featuring Red Rowe, Pappy Cheshire, and the Plainsmen). 2 songs for Crystal Records were released, "You've Got Me Wrapped Around Your Finger" / "Chime Bells".

By 1948, Carolina went on the road with the Sons of the Pioneers. She became the only "daughter" of the group. "Smoky Mountain Melody" (Roy Acuff) was her next movie. She also became one of the first (possibly THE first) female disc jockeys in the country, spinning records on Long Beach station KGER. Carolina also guest starred on the KTLA-TV show "Sunset Ranch".

Carolina made another film in 1949 (briefly leaving Columbia for Astor Pictures), "Stallion Canyon" (Ken Curtis), and released 2 more records for Mastertone, including "Put Your Shoes On Lucy", "Hoosegow Serenade" and "The Old Square Dance is Back Again". She also made a picture back at Columbia with Eddy Arnold, "Feudin' Rhythm". She was a radio guest on the AFRS show "Redd Harper's Hollywood Roundup", and featured on KLAC-TV's Ranch Time.

Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 10:21

By 1950, the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell a second film with Arnold, "Hoedown" (Jock Mahoney). A new recording contract with MGM Records produced several memorable songs, including "I Betcha I Getcha", "You're Gettin' a Good Girl" and the spectacular yodeling tune, "Nola". Plans were made for Carolina's own TV Western adventure series, "Queen of the Range". Unfortunately, it never materialized. By December, she was on her way overseas, to entertain at military bases in Europe. This was the first of many such tours, mostly with the USO, to Korea and the Far East. In Germany, Carolina received the title "Deputy Provost Marshal"...the only citizen to receive such an award.

Carolina made a wide variety of personal appearances over the years, including the Out Of This World Series (celebrity baseball game), St Mary's All Western Days fiestas in San Diego, the All-Palomino Horse Show in Ohio, the Helldorado celebrations in Nevada, and the Sheriff's Annual Rodeos at the LA Coliseum. One of her most unusual feats was in December 1951, when she helped place a real "pole" at the North Pole. As a publicity stunt for Alaskan Airlines, the candy striped pole was filled with letters to Santa Claus, and was to be flown over the North Pole, and dropped by Carolina and Alaskan DJ North Pole Nellie. A huge celebration was held in Fairbanks, but at the last minute, Carolina and Nellie were barred from the flight, as the crew had to refuel at a restricted all-male military base. As a tribute to the 2 girls who couldn't attend the historic event, the crew on the plane yodeled, as they dropped the Pole into position.

The Yodeling Blonde Bombshell recorded 4 more MGM songs in '51, with Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys: "You Always Keep Me in Hot Water", "Cause I'm In Love", "I'm All Alone" and a remake of her song "Three Miles South of Cash". She also guested on Hedda Hopper's radio program, among others.

Carolina Cotton CCotonSit

Carolina co-starred in 3 films in 1952, coming into her own as a leading lady. In "Apache Country", she worked with Gene Autry and Pat Buttram, playing an adventurous cowgirl, much like the role she would have played in "Queen of the Range". She made another movie with Jock Mahoney, "Rough Tough West" (also featuring her long-time friend Smiley Burnette). Her final film was the Autry picture "Blue Canadian Rockies", playing opposite Gail Davis. This was also the year she made her last recordings for MGM, which included Yodel Yodel Yodel, from "Rockies".

Carolina continued her many personal appearances. She took over Doye O'Dell's kiddie amusement park in Compton, and renamed it "Carolina Cotton's Tiny Town". While on a USO return visit to Korea, Carolina was honored to have a tank named after her: Miss Carolina--The Cotton Special.

Between 1953-55, Carolina was still doing guest spots on radio and television. The AFRS aired "Carolina Cotton Calls", heard by Armed Forces personnel worldwide. She continued making guest appearances at rodeos and special events. And she made one last tour overseas in June 1956, to Johannesburg South Africa, to visit hospitals of children with cerebral palsy. It was then that Carolina told herself that if she ever left Show Biz, she would become involved in helping those with disabilities.

By the mid '50s, Western Swing and B Movies started becoming more and more of a thing of the past. In August 1956, Carolina had married Bill Ates, nephew of the character actor Roscoe Ates, with whom she did many shows over the years. She began concentrating on her home life and family, and had 2 children: son William, and daughter Sharon. But the marriage didn't endure into the 1960s, as Carolina and Bill divorced. Carolina remembered her promise to help disabled children ... she became a teacher, and earned her Masters degree in Special Education, as well as traditional education.\

Over the years, Miss Cotton taught at different schools. She moved to Bakersfield CA in the early 1970s, where she taught for many years at Mt Vernon Elementary School. Always the type to be "on the go", she took on another job at a local department store (Brocks, later renamed Gottschalks). After her kids were grown, Carolina began showing up at jam sessions at Bakersfield's local Grange Hall, making music with some of the pioneers of the Bakersfield Sound of country music, including Bill Woods.

Beginning in 1984, Carolina Cotton was a favorite Guest Speaker at several Western Film Festivals, most notably in Charlotte NC, Memphis TN and Little Rock AR. She enjoyed reminiscing with her friends from the good ol' days of Show Biz, and loved connecting with fans old and new.

Sadly, in 1994, Carolina was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. In spite of enduring treatments, she carried on with a smile, and the same enthusiasm she was known for. She continued teaching and working at the department store, attended a Film Festival or two, and managed to enjoy summer visits to Europe. She retired from teaching in March 1997, and entered the hospital in April, where she passed away the morning of June 10th, 1997.

Carolina Cotton lives on in the legacy she left behind, and in the hearts of her fans. She is fondly remembered in her Western Swing recordings, B Western movies, radio and television shows which, luckily, still survive in one form or another. Like other Western stars of the era, Carolina's films and recordings are in the midst of restoration, much to the benefit of generations to come. Carolina Cotton's story is assured a future, as a pioneer in the Golden Age of Western Entertainment.

Posted April, 2005 - Thanks to Carolina's daughter Sharon Marie

link to the site

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/CarolinaCotton.html
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 10:27

Carolina Cotton 667_CC_Montage_Logo_Ctlbnd_3_SM

Carolina Cotton 240_F_Rhythm_CC_Tommy_Ivo2
From the Movie "Feudin' Rhythm", 1949.

Carolina had 17 B Western films to her credit, and that doesn't count the many shorts and soundies she made. She worked alongside such greats as Gene Autry, Ken Curtis, Smiley Burnette, Gail Davis, Eddie Arnold, The Hoosier Hot Shots, Charles Starett...the list goes on. And each film has a story all its own:

FILM HISTORY

(quotes are Carolina's recollections, from interviews and conversations)

It was a chance meeting with Johnny Marvin that opened the door for the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell's movie career. Marvin invited Carolina to be in a movie, which led to her relocating from San Francisco to Los Angeles. He introduced her to Spade Cooley, who happened to be working on a film or two, in 1944. Once Carolina moved to Hollywood and became a member of the Spade Cooley Orchestra, it wasn't long before she began appearing in B Westerns, as well as the early music videos, known as "soundies".

Carolina's first film appearance was in the Republic movie "Sing Neighbor Sing" (Brad Taylor, Ruth Terry, Roy Acuff), in '44. "I was supposed to have a bigger part", she used to say. "But after eating in the Studio cafeteria, I came down with Tomain food poisoning!" (no joke, either). "So I was only in a couple of scenes".

Around the same time "Neighbor" was made, Miss Cotton appeared in the Universal film "The Singing Sheriff", with Bob Crosby. She did an 8-bar yodel with the Spade Cooley Orchestra in a dance scene:

"I'd stand in front of the mirror (at home), and practice for hours...just to look right when I'd sing 'Yodelady-hoo' !"

(Accounts differ, whether "Neighbor" or "Sheriff" was actually Cotton's first movie. Carolina usually referred to "Neighbor" as being made first.)

Watch the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell perform in one of her first pictures, "The Singing Sheriff" (1944)

Carolina Cotton 198_The_Singing_Sheriff_pstr
Carolina Cotton Media_mov
clip / The Singing Sheriff

Carolina Cotton 386_I_m_From_Arkansas_theatre
Click on the photo to view the entire movie, "I'm From Arkansas"
In "I"m From Arkansas" (PRC Pictures), Carolina got to sing her self-penned tune, "I Love to Yodel". She later sang this tune in 3 other films, proving it to be a favorite among fans:

"It was so funny...all these great musicians (in the film), like Jimmy Wakely and Merle Travis--all playing the part of 'comic hillbillies' !"

(Visit the Home page to view a clip from "I'm From Arkansas").

In 1945, Carolina signed with Columbia Pictures, staying with the Studio (for the most part) the rest of her film career. "Outlaws of the Rockies" was another film featuring Cooley's band. It was the first of 3 Durango Kid (Charles Starrett) movies Cotton appeared in, and the first of several directed by Ray Nazzaro. It was in "Outlaws" that Carolina first learned to ride on a horse:

"Ray Nazarro asked me if I could ride and I said yes...and I couldn't. I talked to some of the wranglers that morning...they looked at the script and they said, 'All you have to do is ride in and then get off the horse'. So I was doin' fine...when an airplane went over and so we had to do it over again...So they kept doin' the scene over to get me back on that horse and everybody was kiddin' me. So right there I decided I was going to learn how to ride."

(She went on to be voted the Outstanding Horsewoman of the country, by the Southern California Horseowners Association. Visit the Appearances page for a list of her Equestrian events).

One more picture was made with Spade Cooley, "Texas Panhandle"-- the 2nd Durango Kid movie.

See Carolina in her first equestrian adventure, in "Outlaws of the Rockies"

Carolina Cotton 198_Outlaws_of_the_Rockie_1879
clip / Outlaws of the Rockies

When Cotton left Spade Cooley's band and joined the Deuce Spriggens Orchestra in '45, she didn't miss a beat. She made 4 movies with Spriggens' band, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, Ken Curtis, and the Hoosier Hotshots: "Song of the Prairie" (1945), "That Texas Jamboree" (1946), "Cowboy Blues" (1946), and "Singing on the Trail" (1946). In these films, Carolina's role was reduced to singing with the Orchestra, but produced some memorable musical moments, like the novelty song "I'd Love to Be a Cowgirl (But I' m Afraid of Cows)", from "That Texas Jamboree".

By 1947, the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell was on her own, and began to expand her own horizons. When she wasn't touring with Bob Wills, recording or making personal appearances across the country, she continued making B Westerns for Columbia. "Smoky River Serenade" once again featured the Hoosier Hot Shots, Ruth Terry, Paul Campbell and one of her friends from Radio, Cottonseed Clark.

In 1948, she appeared in her 2nd film with Roy Acuff and past costar Big Boy Williams, "Smoky Mountain Melody". Little "TV" Tommy Ivo was in this picture, the 1st of 3 with Carolina.

1949 marked a change in Miss Cotton's acting career. Breaking away briefly from Columbia, Carolina co-starred in Astor Pictures' "Stallion Canyon", with old pal Ken Curtis. In this Western, she played more of a leading role.

Carolina was back at Columbia by the end of 1949, playing bigger and better parts than her past roles at that Studio. In "Feudin' Rhythm" (Eddy Arnold, Gloria Henry, Kirby Grant), she performed "Put Your Shoes On Lucy", a rarity she recorded on the Mastertone label. Tommy Ivo appears in this film as well.

Enjoy an excerpt of Carolina performing "Put Your Shoes On Lucy", from the Eddy Arnold movie "Feudin' Rhythm"

Carolina Cotton 198_F_Rhythm_2_sm
clip / Feudin' Rhythm

"Hoedown" (1950) was the 2nd Eddie Arnold picture made, and Carolina played opposite Jock Mahoney. "It was my favorite picture to make", she often said. (It's definitely one of the funniest).

(1951 was the only year Cotton didn't have a film released. She kept plenty busy, though, with TV, radio, recording, and touring).

View Miss Cotton in one of her personal favorites, "Hoedown"

Carolina Cotton 198_Hoedown_2_Lby_Crd_sm
Carolina Cotton Media_snd
clip / Hoedown

Another boost in the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell's film career came when she was asked to star in 2 movies with Gene Autry. In "Apache Country" (1952, Autry, Pat Buttram, Harry Lauter, Mary Scott, Iron Eyes Cody), she played even more of a leading role...a lively cowgirl, much like the role she would have played in her elusive TV adventure series, "Queen of the Range".

Miss Cotton made one more Durango Kid movie, "Rough Tough West". Again playing a starring role alongside Jock Mahoney (and the 3rd time with Tommy Ivo), she sang "Cause I'm In Love" with longtime friend Smiley Burnette, and Pee Wee King.

Carolina's last film was her second Autry picture in 1952, "Blue Canadian Rockies" (Pat Buttram, Gail Davis). She gave an alluring stage performance of her MGM song "Lovin' Ducky Daddy", and also sang "Yodel Yodel Yodel".

What happened to her film career? "They stopped making B Westerns!", she'd laugh. Luckily, her 17 films still exist, in one form or another. Most can be found in VHS or DVD format. (thankfully, Autry Entertainment has just restored both "Apache Country" and "Blue Canadian Rockies").

Film Festivals share these movies with enthusiasts across the country. Carolina attended such Festivals through the 1980s and early '90s, alongside Western stars Gail Davis, Lash LaRue, Eddie Dean, "Arkansas" Slim, Harry Lauter and others.

It looks like Carolina's films and other B Westerns are assured a future, so we can all enjoy another ride down the old black and white Celluloid Trail.

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 10:28

CAROLINA COTTON FILMOGRAPHY:

-----TITLE-----------------------------------------------ROLE------------

1. Sing Neighbor Sing (1944,Republic).....herself (college girl)
songs: Blake College Song, Sing Neighbor Sing (yodel)

2. The Singing Sheriff (1944,Universal).....herself, with Spade Cooley Orch.
songs: Ida Red (8 bar yodel)

3. I'm from Arkansas (1944, PRC)................Abby Alden
songs: I Love to Yodel

4. Outlaws of the Rockies (1945, Columbia)........herself, w/Spade Cooley Orch.
(aka A Roving Rogue)--UK
songs: Happy on the Prairie, Do Ya or Don't Ya

5. Texas Panhandle (1945, Columbia)................herself, w/Spade Cooley Orch.
songs: I Love to Yodel, Take Me Back to Tulsa

6. Song of the Prairie (1945, Columbia)............herself, w/ Deuce Spriggens Orch.
(aka Sentiment and Song)--UK
songs: Fireball Mail

7. That Texas Jamboree (1946, Columbia).......herself, w/Deuce Spriggens Orch.
(aka Medicine Man)
songs: When Payday Rolls Around, I'd Love to Be a Cowgirl (But I'm Afraid of Cows), Down the Trail to San Antone

8. Cowboy Blues (1946, Columbia).................herself, w/ Deuce Spriggens Orch
(aka Beneath the Starry Skies)
songs: I'm Thinking Tonight of my Blue Eyes, I Been Down in Texas

9. Singing on the Trail (1946, Columbia).......herself, w/ Deuce Spriggens Orch.
(aka Lookin' For Someone)--UK
songs: What's the Matter With You, Wabash Cannonball, Singing on the Trail
(yodels)

10. Smoky River Serenade (1947, Columbia).......herself
(aka The Threat)
songs: I Love to Yodel

11. Smoky Mountain Melody (1948, Columbia).......Perky Durkin
songs: It's Party Time on the Prairie

12. Stallion Canyon (1949, Kanab/Astor).................Ellen Collins
(aka Wild Horse Range)
songs: In the Hills of Utah (harmonies)

13. Feudin' Rhythm (1949, Columbia)........................................herself
(aka Ace Lucky)--UK
songs: Put Your Shoes On Lucy

14. Hoedown (1950, Columbia)........................................herself
songs: I Betcha I Getcha, Where Has My Little Dog Gone

15. Apache Country (1952, Columbia)...................herself
songs: And The Covered Wagon Rolled Right Along, I Love to Yodel, Crime
Will Never Pay

16. The Rough, Tough West (1952, Columbia)......herself
songs: You Gotta Get a Gun (and Go After the Guy), Cause I'm in Love

17. Blue Canadian Rockies (1952, Columbia).......herself
songs: Yodel Yodel Yodel, Lovin' Ducky Daddy

Carolina Cotton 185_CC_Film_Strip_6_lng
For more detail on movies / soundies with Carolina Cotton, click on this film strip to visit the International Movie Database (IMDB). NOTE: their info is incomplete and, in some cases, incorrect. We are trying to keep in contact with IMDB, to update the information.
SOUNDIES:

1. I Love to Yodel (1944, Soundies Dist Co of America #644-1-4).....w/ Spade Cooley and His Western Dance Gang

2. Take Me Back to Tulsa (6/1944, Soundies Dist Co of America #17501).....w/ Spade Cooley & His Western Dance Gang

(Cooley & Tiny Hunt/fiddle, Tex Williams/vocal, Smokey Rogers/gtr, Pedro DePaul/accordion, Johnny Weiss/ld gtr, Deuce Spriggens & Carolina/bass, Bob Morrison/drums).

3. My Wubba Dolly (aka The Rubber Dolly Song) (1944)....................................w/ Spade Cooley and His Western Dance Gang

4. Why Did I Fall for Abner (6/1945, Soundies Dist Corp of America # 21002).............................w/ Merle Travis

5. When the Bloom is On the Sage (6/1945, Soundies Dist Corp of America #21205)..............w/ Merle Travis

6. Texas Home (6/1945, Soundies Dist Corp of America #21406).................................................w/ Merle Travis, Tex Atchison

7. Wabash Cannonball (1946)..................................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band

8. Sioux City Sue (1946).............................................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band

9. Missouri's Calling Me
(1945-46)...........................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band (Hank Penny, vocal)

10. Down the Trail to San Antone (1946, RCM Prod/Soundies Dist Corp of America #23405)................w/Deuce Spriggens and His Band

11. I'd Love to Be a Cowgirl (But I'm Afraid of Cows) (6/1946, RCM Prod, Soundies Dist Corp of America #23801).............................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band

12. If You Ever Come to Texas
(1946)..............................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band

13. When Pay Day Rolls Around
(1946)..............................w/ Deuce Spriggens and His Band

14. Yodel Mountain (ca 9/51, Studio Films Inc/Snader Telescriptions #10101)..........w/ Bob Wills

15. Three Miles South of Cash in Arkansas (ca 9/51, Studio Films Inc/Snader Telescriptions #10102)...w/ Bob Wills

(Carolina Cotton/vocal, Bob Wills & Joe Holley/fiddle, Skeeter Elkin/piano, Joe Ferguson/bass, Bobby Koefer/steel gtr, Paul McGhee/drums, Ocie Stockard/tenor banjo, Cotton Whittington/electric gtr)

MISC. SOUNDIE COMPILATIONS, SHORTS:

1. King of the Western Swing (1944-45, Warner Bros.).........w/ Spade Cooley Orch.

2. Melody Stampede (1944-45, Universal)................................w/ Spade Cooley Orch.

3. Hoosier Hot Shots Musicals (1945-46, Columbia)..............unknown, possibly clips from various
films, Carolina Cotton w/Deuce Spriggens Orch.)

4. Speaking of Animals (1944, Paramount), episode "The Hill-Billies"......animal voiceover- yodels (Daisy Dog)
(There may have been other episodes)
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 10:29

These are all the known films featuring Carolina Cotton. There are many
yet-undiscovered shorts, etc in which she was featured.

Back in 1944, the Yodeling Blonde Bombshell made her music video debut with the Spade Cooley band. Here she sings "I Love to Yodel" (1944).

Carolina Cotton 196_CC_Soundies_mtg_sm
Carolina made several soundies with the Deuce Spriggens Orchestra, which also included The Plainsmen Trio, and Tex Atchison. Here is an excerpt from "Sioux

link to the site

http://www.carolinacotton.org/films.html
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 12:10

donald
Modérateur
Modérateur
donald

Masculin
Date de naissance : 03/02/1959

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 14:58

je découvre cette artiste, et ma foie pas mal .
En tout cas beau travail de recherche
https://www.facebook.com/edonaldduck#!/edonaldduck
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin
Date de naissance : 05/12/1964
emploi : Forumeuse

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 21:45

Carolina Cotton CCCDfrntcvrxxsm Carolina Cotton 12787

Carolina Cotton 490_CC_Redd_Harper_scarf_sm

Carolina Cotton 630_Spade_Cooley_band_nw_sm
The Spade Cooley Orchestra, at the Riverside Rancho, ca. 1945. L-R: Deuce Spriggens (bass), Frank Buckley (accordion), Eddie Bennett (piano), Johnny Weis (guitar), Rex Call (fiddle), Carolina Cotton, Spade Cooley, Smokey Rogers, Muddy Berry (drums), Joaquin Murphey (steel gtr), Spike Featherstone (harp), Tex Williams. Some of these talented musicians doubled on other instruments.

Carolina Cotton 517_D_Martin_w_Avada_Miller_sm
Dude Martin and His Roundup Gang at station KYA, ca. 1942-43. L-R: Rex Gallion, Hezzy Johnson, Arvada Miller, Jerry Hutchison, Peggy "Lynne" (another vocalist?), Von Gallion, Carolina and Dude Martin. The guy in back with the bowler hat was also a member. Bandmates came and went from Martin's group, especially during the War Years.

Carolina Cotton Deuce_Spriggins_Soundie2

Carolina Cotton 640_D_Spriggins_Band_SM_Pier_sm
The Deuce Spriggens Orchestra, ca. 1945, at the fabulous Santa Monica Ballroon...renamed the Western Palisades Ballroom. The nightly entertainment was broadcast on the radio program "Cavalcade of Western Music". L-R: Carolina (bass); Eddie Bennett (piano); Rex Call (fiddle); Red Fox (drummer, bkgd); Tex Atchison (fiddle); Frank "Gibby" Gibson (fiddle); Frank Buckley (accordion); Deuce, Ray "Charley" Morgan (guitar, sitting); Andy Parker (standing, gtr); Ralph Miele (steel gtr); Bud Langley (gtr, sitting); Hank Caldwell (bass). The band may have gone through as many as 3 different drummers: Red Fox, Don Piano and Tommy Mills.

Carolina Cotton 545_Hank_Penny_Band_edt_sm
Carolina with Hank Penny and his band, ca. 1946, at the infamous Riverside Rancho, "Home of Western Music". According to one ad, you could enjoy dancing to the group "every Friday, Saturday and Sunday". L-R: Eddie Bennett, Unidentified, Fred Cianci, unidentified, Ralph Miele, Doye O'Dell, Max Fidler, Bob Caudana, unidentified.

Carolina Cotton 520_CC_Sons_of_Pioneers_TX_sm
Sons (and "Daughter", center) of the Pioneers on tour, making a radio appearance at KXOX in Sweetwater, TX, 1949. The tour ran from the end of February through the beginning of April, with shows in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Carolina Cotton 420_CC_Bob_Wills_T_Duncan_sm
Carolina with Tommy Duncan (L) and the great Bob Wills (R). After touring together in 1947, she and Wills reunited on MGM Records in 1951. One of the 4 songs recorded was a remake of "Three Miles South Of Cash", which they also performed for a Snader Telescription.

Carolina Cotton 490_CC_Redd_Harper_scarf_sm
"Look who I found!" Carolina and Redd Harper clowning for the camera, ca. 1949. Redd Harper's Hollywood Roundup was heard around the globe, on the Armed Forces Radio Service. She guest starred on several episodes. Carolina's badge seems to be from the All Western Days celebration in El Cajon, CA.

Carolina Cotton 390_Western_Film_Caravan_Apr_sm
Performing at the Western Film Festival, 1986. The Tennessee Ramblers accompanied Carolina as she sang "I Love To Yodel".

Carolina Cotton Sans_t11

https://www.facebook.com/birdie.rockin
Invité
Invité

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 21:52

stars Hello Birdie stars

stars 780242 pour ces magnifiques photos stars
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin
Date de naissance : 05/12/1964
emploi : Forumeuse

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton EmptyMar 26 Aoû 2008, 21:55

De rien, en faite je cherchais une photo sur le net que j'ai chez moi mais
que je ne retrouve pas. Je me suis dis que je la trouverais peut être sur le net, mais rien et du coup je suis tombée sur celle-là, alors ... voilà !

Mais j'essayerais de retrouver celle que j'ai, dans un vieux magasine américain des années 40's !! Mais chez moi c'est le foutoir !!! :lol!:

Carolina Cotton Sans_t11

https://www.facebook.com/birdie.rockin
Contenu sponsorisé

Carolina Cotton Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Carolina Cotton   Carolina Cotton Empty

Carolina Cotton
Page 1 sur 1