FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-28%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Brandt LVE127J – Lave-vaisselle encastrable 12 couverts – L60cm
279.99 € 390.99 €
Voir le deal
anipassion.com

Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry'

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry' Empty
MessageSujet: Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry'   Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry' EmptyJeu 30 Oct 2008, 16:45

Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry' P191337-Nashville_TN-Grand_Ole_Opry_Show

By BEVERLY KEEL • October 29, 2008

Little Jimmy Dickens celebrates 60 years at 'Opry' Mastlogo

Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins and George Jones are among those who will help Little Jimmy Dickens celebrate his 60th anniversary with the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday.

"I never dreamed I'd be there this long, really," Jimmy said. "It's hard for me to tell you what's going through my mind, I am so excited about it."

Jimmy, 87, has seen a lot of country music history in those 60 years, and counts the time he spent with Roy Acuff, Minnie Pearl, Rod Brasfield and Red Foley among the best times in his life.

"We were a family, especially when we were at the old Ryman for many years," he said of the Opry's former home. "We were limited on space down there and there were no dressing rooms. Everybody came to work in costumes. It was a wonderful time."

Jimmy, then 28, was living in Saginaw, Mich., when he was invited to appear on the Opry for the first time. "I remember now that when I was going to walk out on that stage, I felt like I was in my first talent show.

"I looked around and saw all these great people like Mr. Acuff standing around to watch what I was going to do. I really got upset and nervous. I guess what I did was accepted because in a month or two they called me back for another appearance."

It was Jimmy watching from the side when Hank Williams made his Opry debut. "He took seven encores," Jimmy said. "I knew that he had that something that people liked. His great ability to write was his main thing and his performance was cool."

Jimmy has battled some health problems recently, including a urinary tract infection and a bloodstream infection. "I've been in and out of the hospital — the Mayo Clinic 16-17 days and Vanderbilt two or three times," he said. "They have finally got me straightened out, I think. I'm getting stronger every day."

He lost 15 to 20 pounds during his illnesses because he lost his appetite. "I was worried myself," he said.

While he does enjoy his fishing time with Brad Paisley, Jimmy has no interest in retiring. "I love what I do," he said, laughing. "I couldn't sit down and not do what I do. I've been doing it too long."

Jimmy, who became an Opry member in 1948, is one of the Opry's most beloved figures. He is known for his irresistible humor, colorful outfits and novelty songs, including "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose." He had hits in every decade from the 1940s until the 1970s.

Thanks to Brad and others, Jimmy had been honored for his dedication to entertaining and supporting other artists, but Jimmy doesn't see it as receiving the respect he is due.

"I really don't think about it like that. I just go do what I do and I'm grateful to people for accepting what I do. It's a good feeling."

You can watch Brad, Trace and George honor Jimmy on Great American Country's Opry Live at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Source ::: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081029/TUNEIN02/310290029/1005/ENTERTAINMENT
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Page 1 sur 1