FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -15%
(Adhérents) LEGO® Icons 10318 Le Concorde
Voir le deal
169.99 €

Ersel HICKEY

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:34

Ersel HICKEY Hickey_ersel

Ersel HICKEY Hickey_e

Ersel HICKEY F20 Chanteur Rockabilly US né le 27 juin 1934 à Brighton (New York), Ersel Hickey est d'abord serrurier avant de trouver la clé du succès en 1957 chez Epic Records. Bien que peu connu, Ersel eût pourtant l'honneur de voir sa silhouette publiée dans de nombreux livres et magazines, une photo d'époque étant particulièrement caractéristique du Rocker-Guitariste du milieu des années cinquante. Ersel Hickey a tenté un retour en 1971 chez Janus Records, sans succès. Il avait depuis travaillé comme compositeur à Queens (New York). Ersel Hickey est décédé le 12 juillet 2004.

Ersel HICKEY Uk20 Best remembered for the rockabilly classic "Bluebirds Over the Mountain," singer Ersel Hickey was born June 27, 1934, in Brighton, NY. After the 1938 death of his father, his mother suffered a nervous breakdown and, according to the www.rockabillyhall.com website, Hickey spent his formative years in a series of foster homes, ultimately hitting the road with his sister, an exotic dancer who performed under the name Chicky Evans. He also traveled the U.S. as a carny before settling in Columbus, OH, landing in a juvenile home and singing in a local gospel group. Inspired by Johnnie Ray, in 1951 Hickey entered a Columbus talent contest and took home top honors, winning $500 and committing himself to a career as a pop singer. After discovering Elvis Presley's landmark Sun recordings, Hickey switched his allegiance to rock & roll and in 1955 cut his debut single, the Fine label effort "Then I'll Be Happy."
While performing in Rochester, NY, Hickey stumbled upon Phil Everly and asked for his advice on launching a career. Told "Well, you got to have a song," he wrote "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" literally overnight and traveled to Buffalo the following morning, where he hired photographer Gene LaVerne to shoot a publicity still. The resulting photograph is arguably the zenith of Hickey's career. Rock scribe Peter Guralnick once wrote: "Take a look at the improbably sculpted helmet of hair, the tommy-gun guitar stance, the pleated pants, cocked leg, patent leather casual footwear and turned-up collar...guitar pick poised, background airbrushed out, every fold of clothing carefully arranged...what volumes it speaks of aspiration and style, fate and fantasy, revelation in artifice. It is in effect a self-portrait of rock & roll." LaVerne also put Hickey in touch with songwriter and manager Mike Corda, who immediately booked session time at New York's National Studio; "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" quickly caught the attention of Epic Records, who insisted on releasing the demo in its original mix, fearing re-recording might strip the material of its essence.
Epic issued "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" in January of 1958. Despite the label's enthusiasm, the record reached only number 75 on the Billboard pop charts, and would prove Hickey's biggest commercial hit. A series of Epic releases followed, among them 1958's "Lover's Land" and 1959's "You Threw a Dart" and "I Can't Love Another," before the label terminated his contract in the wake of 1960's "Stardust Brought Me You." Hickey then landed with Kapp, issuing "Teardrops at Dawn" and "Lips of Rose" in 1961 before landing with Apollo to release "The Millionaire" (later covered by Jackie Wilson) the following year. After Apollo went bankrupt, Hickey signed with Laurie long enough to release "Some Enchanted Evening," which would prove his last new recording for four years.
Making ends meet as a songwriter, in 1964 he did pen the Serendipity Singers' hit "Don't Let the Rain Come Down." The Toot label issued his 1967 comeback single, "Blue Skies," with "(Play On) Strings of Gitarro" appearing a year later. He recorded intermittently in the decades to follow, cutting "Oh Lord, Look What They've Done to Your Garden" for Black Circle in 1971, "Waitin' for Baby" for Rameses III in 1975, and "Let Me Be Your Radio" for Parkway in 1982. Later the subject of Bluebirds Over the Mountain, a typically excellent and comprehensive Bear Family retrospective, Hickey died following bladder removal surgery on July 12, 2004.

http://rockabillyhall.com/ErselHickey.html

Dernière édition par Franck DEMON le Dim 28 Déc 2008, 15:13, édité 1 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:40

Talents : Singer, Guitar
Style musical : Rockabilly, Rock 'n' Roll

BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN Ersel HICKEY Speaker Ersel HICKEY Livre
GOIN' DOWN THAT ROAD Ersel HICKEY Speaker Ersel HICKEY Livre
LOVER'S LANE Ersel HICKEY Speaker
Ersel HICKEY Radio
Années en activité :

DISCOGRAPHIE
Singles & EP

04/1957SP FINE FI-4M2657 (US) Mickey EVANS - You're No Good Ersel HICKEY Speaker / (I Want To Go Where You Go) Then I'll Be Happy) Ersel HICKEY Speaker
02/1958SP EPIC 5-9263 (US)Hangin' Around Ersel HICKEY Speaker / Bluebirds Over The Mountain Ersel HICKEY Speaker
07/1958SP EPIC 5-9278 (US)Goin' Down That Road Ersel HICKEY Speaker / Lover's Lane Ersel HICKEY Speaker
11/1958SP EPIC 5-9298 (US)You Never Can Tell / Wedding Day

1958EP EPIC EG 7206 (US)Ersel HICKEY Wanted.jpegLover's Lane / Bluebirds Over The Mountain Ersel HICKEY Speaker / Goin' Down That Road Ersel HICKEY Speaker / Hangin' Around Ersel HICKEY Speaker
04/1959SP EPIC 5-9309 (US)You Threw A Dart / Don't Be Afraid Of Love
06/1959SP EPIC 5-9320 (US)People Gotta Talk / I Can't Love Another
01/1960SP EPIC 5-9357 (US)Love In Bloom Ersel HICKEY Speaker / What Do You Want ?
07/1960SP EPIC 5-9395 (US)Ersel HICKEY Epic_9395Another Wasted Day / Stardust Brought Me You
02/1961SP KAPP K-372X (US)Teardrops At Down Ersel HICKEY Speaker / I Guess You Could Call It Love Ersel HICKEY Speaker
1961SP KAPP K-406X (US)Lips Of Roses / What Have You Done To Me
07/1962SP APOLLO 761 (US) Upside Down Love / The Millionaire
05/1963SP LAURIE 3165 (US)Put Your Mind At Ease / Some Enchanted Evening
1967SP TOOT 602 (US)Blue Skies / Tryin' To Get To You
1968SP TOOT 607 (US)Strings Of Gitarro / There Is Just One Time
1970SP JANUS 151 (US)Bluebirds Over The Mountain / Self Made Man
1971SP BLACK CIRCLE 845 (US)Oh, Lord Look What They've Done To Your Garden / Slidin' Home
1972SP UNIFAX 100 (US)How Unlucky Can You Get / Put It To Your Heart
1975SP RAMESES III 2003 (US)Waitin' For Baby / In Spite Of The Fool That I Am
1982SP PARKWAY ? (US)Let Me Be Your Radio / ?
1984SP MAGNUM ? (US)Country Tough / ?
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:41

Albums

1975 ?LP 12" KAPP 2601 (CAN)Ersel HICKEY Kapp_2601BLUE BIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN - Going Down That Road / Love In Bloom / Wedding Day / You Threw A Dart / You Never Can Tell / Don't Be Afraid Of Love / I Guess You Could Call It Love / What Do You Want / Hanging Around / Another Wasted Day / Stardust Brought Me You / Blue Birds Over The Mountain / Lover's Land / Teardrops At Down / Self Made Man / Blue Birds Over The Mountain (AT)
1985LP 12" BACK-TRAC 18750 (US)Ersel HICKEY Bt_18750THE ROCKIN' BLUEBIRD - Bluebirds Over The Mountain / Hangin' Around / You Never Can Tell / Lover's Land / Goin' Down That Road / Love In Bloom / Shame On Me / What Do You Want ? /Stardust Brought Me You / Don't Be Afraid Of Love
01/1994CD BEAR FAMILY BCD 15676 (D)Ersel HICKEY Bf_15676ERSEL HICKEY BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN - Bluebirds Over The Mountain (US version) / Hangin' Around / You Never Can Tell / The Wedding / Lover's Land / Goin' Down That Road / Love In Bloom / Another Wasted Day / You Threw A Dart / Shame On Me / What Do You Want? / Stardust Brought Me You / Due Time (incomplete)/A Mighty Square Love Affair / Teardrops At Dawn / Magical Love / I Guess You Could Call It Love / Lips Of Roses / What Have You Done To Me? / Stardust Brought Me You / Roll On Little River (nnknown) / Don't Be Afraid Of Love / People Gotta Talk / I Can't Love Another / Bluebirds Over The Mountain (CAN Version)
01/2001CD COLLECTABLES COL 6479 (US)Ersel HICKEY Collectables_6479THE ROCKIN' BLUEBIRD - Bluebirds Over The Mountain / Hangin' Around, Goin' Down That Road / Lover's Land / You Never Can Tell / Wedding Day / Don't Be Afraid Of Love / You Threw A Dart / People Gotta Talk / I Can't Love Another / What Do You Want? / Love In Bloom / Stardust Brought Me You / Another Wasted Day / Shame On Me / Some Enchanted Evening / Put Your Mind At Ease / Rockabilly Dream / In Spite Of The Fool That I Am / Kicks
06/2006CD HYDRA 27119 (D)Ersel HICKEY HydraHANGIN' AROUND AT HEARTBREAK HOTEL - Bluebirds Over The Mountains / Goin' Down That Road / Then I'll Be Happy / You're No Good / Hangin' Around / Pushin' [instr.] / You Threw A Dart / Upside Down Love / Millionaire / I'm Walkin' / Street Car Of Desire / Juliet [Instr.] / You Never Can Tell / (Play On) Strings Of Gitarro / Put Your Mind At Ease / Some Enchanted Evening / Trying To Get To You / Blue Skies / Stardust Brought Me You / Heartbreak Hotel / Slidin' Home / Bluebirds Over The Mountains II / Teardrops At Dawn / Rockabilly Dreams / In Spite Of The Fool I Am / Country Tough / Music Man / Twice Times Down / Let Me Be Your Radio
©️ Rocky Productions 17/09/2004
E-Mail : rocky-52@orange.fr
Messenger : gerardlambert52@hotmail.com
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:45

Hickey, Ersel

Born 1934 in Brighton, N.Y. Died in 2004.

References:
Rockabilly Hall of Fame
Feature article in issues 60 & 62 (1994) of American Music Magazine; discography in issue 60.

Original Releases

Discography is intended to be complete through 1964
Date & Source Label & Number V Titles {& References to LP/CD List} As By Matrix Numbers
1957/Apr.
rel. no. code
Fine FI-4M2657 Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss You're No Good!! {q,r,v}
Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss (I Want To Go Where You Go) Then I'll Be Happy {q,r}
A
B
1958/Feb. 24
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9263 Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Hangin' Around {c,d,f,g,k,n,q,u,y}
Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Bluebirds Over The Mountain {c,d,g,h,i,j,l,n,p,q,u, A}
ZSP 43126
ZSP 43125
1958/July 21
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9278 Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Goin' Down That Road {a,b,c,d,e,g,h,i,m,n,o,q,s,u,w,x}
Ersel HICKEY R1 Ersel HICKEY Pic Lovers' Land {c,d,g,n,u}
ZSP 44044
ZSP 44043
1958/Sept. 1
Bb Aud.
Epic EG 7206 Ersel HICKEY Rx Lover's Land
Ersel HICKEY Rx Bluebirds Over The Mountain
Ersel HICKEY Rx Goin' Down That Road
Ersel HICKEY Rx Hangin' Around

1958/Nov. 17
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9298 Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss You Never Can Tell {c,d,g,n,q,t,u}
Ersel HICKEY R1 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Wedding Day {d,n,u}
JZSP-45000
JZSP-44999
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:45

1959/Apr. 13
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9309 Ersel HICKEY V1 Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Pic You Threw A Dart {d,n,q,u}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Don't Be Afraid Of Love {c,d,g,n,u}
JZSP 47037
JZSP 47038
1959/June 15
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9320 Ersel HICKEY Rx People Gotta Talk {d,n}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss I Can't Love Another {d,n}
JZSP 47657
JZSP 47656
1960/Jan. 25
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9357 Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R1 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss Love In Bloom {c,d,g,n,u,z}
Ersel HICKEY R0 Ersel HICKEY Pic What Do You Want? {c,d,g,n,u}
ZSP 49235
ZSP 49236
1960/July 11
Bb pop rev.
Epic 5-9395 Ersel HICKEY Ps Ersel HICKEY V1 Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss Another Wasted Day {d,n,u}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Pic Stardust Brought Me You {c,d,g,n,q,u}

ZSP 50695
ZSP 50694
1961/Feb. 20
Bb pop rev.
Kapp K-372X Ersel HICKEY V2 Ersel HICKEY R2 Ersel HICKEY Pic Ersel HICKEY Ss I Guess You Could Call It Love {d,u}
Ersel HICKEY R1 Ersel HICKEY Ss Teardrops At Dawn {d,q,u}
K-5388
K-5385
(Bb est.)
Kapp K-406X Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss Lips Of Roses {d}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss What Have You Done To Me {d}

1962/July 28
Bb pop rev.
Apollo 761 Ersel HICKEY Rx Upside Down Love {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx The Millionaire {q}
A-7003
A-7001
1963/May
(Bb est.)
Laurie L 3165 Ersel HICKEY V1 Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Pic Put Your Mind At Ease {n,q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Some Enchanted Evening {n,q}
P4KM-2804
Additional Tracks on Comps
Epic unissued Ersel HICKEY Rx Due Time {d}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss Roll On Little River {d}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Shame On Me {c,d,g,n}
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:46

Epic unissued Ersel HICKEY Rx Stardust Brought Me You [alt. vers.] {d}
Kapp unissued Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss Magical Love {d}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Ersel HICKEY Ss A Mighty Square Love Affair {d}

[unissued] Ersel HICKEY Rx Heartbreak Hotel {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx I'm Walkin' {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Juliet [instr.] {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Let Me Be Your Radio [alt. vers.] {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Music Man {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Pushin' [instr.] {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Street Car Of Desire {q}
Ersel HICKEY Rx Twice Times Down {q}

[need info] Ersel HICKEY Rx Rockabilly Dreams {q}
References in "As By" Column:

1. as by Ersel Hickey
  2. as by Mickey Evans
  3. as by Ersel Hickey / Orch. Under Dir. Joe Sherman
  4. as by Ersel Hickey / Orchestra Under The Direction Of Billy Mure
  5. as by Ersel Hickey / Orch. Under The Dir. of Billy Mure
  6. as by Ersel Hickey / Cond. And Arranged By Chuck Slagle
  7. as by Ersel Hickey / Arranged And Conducted By Chuck Sagle

Collector-Oriented Compilation LPs and CDs Containing Tracks

a. Ace CDCHD 715 (cd) Rockin' From Coast To Coast, Vol. 2
b. Ace CDCHD 785 (cd) Columbia Rockabilly, Vol. 1
c. Back-Trac 18750 (lp) The Rockin' Bluebird / Ersel Hickey
d. Bear Family BCD 15676 (cd) Bluebirds Over The Mountains / Ersel Hickey
e. Bear Family BCD 16722 (cd) That'll Flat Git It, Vol. 22 (Columbia)
f. Big Rumble F 100 (lp) The Big Rumble
g. Big Tone 18750 (lp) The Rockin' Bluebird / Ersel Hickey
h. Big Tone BT 5711 (cd) CBS Rockabilly Classics, Vol. 2
i. CBS 83911 (lp) CBS Rockabilly, Vol. 3
j. CBS Special Products A 37618 (cd) Rockabilly Stars, Vol. 1
k. Century [??] (cd) Rockabilly Party
l. Century [?] (cd) Rockabilly City
m. Club PR PRLP- 007 (lp) Pure Rockabilly, Vol. 7
n. Collectables COL 6479 (cd) The Rockin' Bluebird / Ersel Hickey
o. Columbia/Epic/Legacy CK 62172 (cd) Ain't I'm A Dog!: 25 More Rockabilly Rave-Ups
p. Epic EG 37618 (lp) Rockabilly Stars
q. Hydra BCK 27119 (cd) Hangin' Around At Heartbreak Hotel / Ersel Hickey
r. Jim Jam WLJJ 1010 (lp) Rebel Rockabilly Rock, Vol. 10
s. Juke Box Saturday Night JBSN 1008 (lp) Rock 'N' Roll Fever, Vol. 7
t. Juke Box Saturday Night 1009 (lp) Rock 'N' Roll Fever, Vol. 8
u. Kapp 2601 (lp) Bluebirds Over The Mountain / Ersel Hickey
v. Lenox LP 101 (lp) Grand Daddy's Rockin', Vol. 5
w. Lucky CDLR 811 (cd) Rockabilly Gold, Vol. 11
x. Mustang MUST 2 (cd) Rockabilly & Hillbilly Bop, Vol. 2: Goin' Down That Road
y. NPR 7305 (lp) Archive Series, Vol. 5
z. Regency RR 101 (lp) 20 Rock 'N' Roll High School Rarities
A. Sony Music Special Prod. WK 75064 (cd) Rockabilly Stars, Vol. 1
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:48

Ersel HICKEY Sponsorpageheader1
Ersel Hickey - more than just a one pose wonder, dedicated by coop919@aol.com

Ersel HICKEY ErselHDR

ERSEL HICKEY
The Most Famous Pose Of Rock and Roll
By: Johnny Vallis

Ersel HICKEY ErselHHotelCD
June, 2005 - Hydra Records is releasing a new CD of Ersel's recordings. Including the 2 Fine recordings (only 500 45's made at the time) and the two unreleased Fine Records recordings. All 4 done prior to his Epic recordings. Plus other uneleased gems and single never on CD. The disc includes all his classic tracks too.
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:48

Rock and roll fans know the pose of Ersel Hickey. Many know of the great hit "Bluebirds Over The Mountain". Not many know the full story of this rock and roll icon, so we present it here.

Ersel HICKEY ErselandBro2k . Ersel HICKEY Erselsitoncouch2K

Ersel HICKEY ErselActionStand810 Ersel Hickey was born in Brighton, New York on June 27, 1934. His Mother was from Kingston, Ontario, his Father was Irish (O' Hickey was the original name), he passed away when Ersel was four, there were eight children. Ersel's Mother had a nervous breakdown and was put into a hospital, at that time he was put into fosterhomes. He would run away all the time, living in different parts of New York State.

When Ersel was 15 he started traveling with his sister "Chicky Evans" an exotic dancer. She was very popular in the circuits and together they travelled for about a year. He decided to go on his own and travel with the carnival, then left and then began living in Columbus, Ohio. From there he was sent to a "tough kids" home, where he became familiar with the main Rhythm & Blues groups and started singing with the gospel group there.

Johnnie Ray was sweeping the nation in 1951. Ersel found his talents singing like him. That year he entered an amateur talent contest and won first place on his own and second place with his group. The prize was $500. While he was there his sister was killed in a car accident. From then on he was raised between his aunt and his brother.

In 1954 Ersel heard "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" by Elvis and he went crazy for it. Telling everyone about Elvis. Ersel was playing a few places in Rochester that his brother booked him in, he was drawing very well. It was around this time that he went and recorded his first record on Fine Records. One side was "Then I'll Be Happy", an old song and the other side was called "Baby You're No Good" a song Ersel had written. The single was released locally, not much happened with it.
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:49

Ersel HICKEY ErselBWoblongmik One night Ersel went to a show at the War Memorial in Rochester and was in a restaurant after and one of the members of the show walked in, Phil Everly. Ersel approached Phil and said "I want to be a singer, what should I do?" He says "Well, you got to have a song." That night Ersel went home and wrote "Bluebirds Over The Mountain". Ersel woke his brother up at 2:30 in the morning and asked him what he thought. He said "It's a hit!". Ersel decided to leave for Buffalo the next morning with $20 his brother gave him.

Getting off the bus in Buffalo, Ersel had no clue what he was going to do. Looking up and down the main street he saw a place called "Jan's" a hangout for teenagers. Right next up the stairs was Gene Laverne's "Studio Of The Stars" (where his sister had her photos taken). After introducing himself to Gene he asked what to do. Gene told him he was going to need to take some pictures. Ersel's Aunt and Uncle offered to give him some money. Then came the famous session that took THAT photo ....... Unfortunately with the colors Ersel was wearing, it was only a black and white shot. He recalls "The kids loved that outfit, after I got the gold guitar - phew!" He often wore black with the gold and sometimes grey suits with the black shirts and white ties. The jacket was a reddish-orange and had a yellow lining, the pants were rust-colored with stitching down the sides. The outline itself has become representational of rock and roll.

Ersel HICKEY ErselLookUpAtMic LaVerne suggested to Ersel that he call Mike Corda who was a personal manager, bass player and songwriter (Corda had previously managed Enzio Stuarti). Corda believed that "Bluebirds" had potential they had a demo session for the song at National Studio in New York, which Corda paid for the session. They brought Jimmy Mitchell to play guitar and Mike Corda played bass. Mitchell tapped on his guitar case to make the "percussion" sound on "Hangin' Around". After they were happy with the session, it was Corda's job to pitch the song to a label.

Ersel went back to Buffalo and stayed with his aunt. Not much was happening so Ersel decided to go back to work. He went to The Town Casino (a big club were Martin and Lewis worked) where it seated about 1000 people, Sam Cooke was playing the lounge. Ersel asked the MC if he would watch him. The MC loved what he saw and took him to the owner. The owner of the club put him on that night. The band had no clue what they were doing, they tried to follow Ersel, but there was very little they could do. They put him in The Glen Casino the next night along with Cab Calloway. He worked the lounge until it got to crowded. Ersel was playing in Niagara Falls at Luigi's when he got news that Epic Records had signed him. Joe Sherman at Epic Records picked up on the song. He liked the demo so much he didn't believe re-recording it would help, but maybe lose the "sound" that had.

Ersel HICKEY ErselBlueBirds January of 1958 it was released.

March 12, 1958 Ersel recorded two more singles "You Threw A Dart", "Don't Be Afraid Of Love" - "People Gotta Talk", "I Can't Love Another" and the unissued "Shame On Me". Ersel went back in the studio May 20, 1958 this time in New York at the old Columbia Studios. They recorded 3 songs "Lover's Land", "Goin' Down That Road" and "Due Time". The next session was October of 1958, they went back into National Studio to record "You Never Can Tell", "The Wedding" and "Roll On Little River". Al Lewis was one of the co-writers on "You Never Can Tell" (co-written Blueberry Hill"). Lewis had just formed a music publishing company with Don Kirshner (later the manager/producer behind The Monkees). Kirshner brought Ersel "You Never Can Tell" and a song called "I'm Ready" both demo recorded by Bobby Darin. Turned down "I'm Ready", but recorded the other. Fats Domino picked "I'm Ready" Ersel's record charted high in Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles.
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:49

September 29, 1959 recorded "Love In Bloom". By the time Ersel went back in the studio December 17, 1959 the music world had changed. Chuck Sagle brought Ersel into the Columbia Studios for his last sessions. The song was "What Do You Want" which was a big hit for British Pop star Adam Faith. Faith sounded a lot like Buddy Holly, Sherman thought that Ersel too had that sound. They worked up an arrangement quick and gave Ersel a day to rehearse it. (It was a split-session with Roy Hamilton and Bobby Vinton). Ersel didn't like the song and didn't want to record it, but Sherman told him he was going to. April 18, 1960 Sagle took Ersel in to record "Stardust Brought Me You" this version was left un-released until 1993. May 7, 1960 Ersel went and recorded his last single for Epic Records "Stardust Brought Me You" and "Another Wasted Day". Al Avellino was the co-writer with Ersel on "Stardust Brought Me You" a song they had written on the piano at Famous Music that Hoagy Carmichael used to write "Stardust". After Ersel three year recording contract with Epic expired, he decided to work more at writing songs. One day Ersel was at 1650 Broadway when he saw Joe Sherman. They hadn't worked together for a couple of years, Joe offered to manage Ersel. Shortly after he got Ersel signed to Kapp Records. Late 1960 they went in the studio at Bradley Film & Recording in Nashville. On December 7 they recorded "Lips Of Roses", "Teardrops At Dawn" and the un-issued until 1993 "Magical Love".

Ersel HICKEY ErselAmerHotWax Then on December 8 they recorded the last session for Kapp "I Guess You Could Call It Love", "What Have You Done To Me?" and the un-issued until 1993 "A Mighty Square Love Affair". Joe Sherman only managed Ersel for six months, he placed Ersel on a few tours that he did very well at. Ersel got married in 1961 which quieted things down and he went into business. Writing was a band-aid for him as he wanted to perform, but bookings were slow. It became very complex with contracts and the business became overwhelming. Ersel then record "The Millionaire" and "Upside Down Love" on Apollo, a great record. The company was already in money trouble and went out of business. Then Laurie Records with "Some Enchanted Evening" and "Put Your Mind At Ease" in 1963. 1964 Ersel went back to songwriting, he wrote a song with Eddie Miller called "Don't Let The Rain Come Down" it was a huge hit for The Serendipity Singers.

Many artists have recorded Ersel's songs including Jackie Wilson "The Millionare" and "A Little Bird Told Me So" for LaVern Baker. Toot Records was owned by Eddie Miller, Ersel recorded "Blues Skies" and "Tryin' To Get To You" in 1967 and "Strings of Gitarro" and "There is Just One Time" in 1968. 1968 was a great year for Ersel when the Beach Boys bought the publishing on "Bluebirds Over The Mountains" and cut it as a single. It has appeared on many compilations. There were many other labels that he went on like Unifax, Rameses II, Black Circle, Parkway and Magnum.

Ersel HICKEY ErselJohnnyCashH
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:50

Ersel has unreleased material - 24 songs in all recorded between 1960-1985 (with musicians such as Dave 'Baby' Cortez) he owns them all. Wouldn't that be a great CD? We can only hope for more from Ersel. He does consider performing again and maybe releasing a new CD if the right deal comes along.

His music and talent is in class of it's own. Ersel is truly a Legend in Rock and Roll music, not just for his famous picture, but for everything he has accomplished.

Ersel HICKEY ERSEL4up

Discography

Ersel HICKEY ErselThinIndex 1955
FINE RECORDS

Then I'll Be Happy/Baby You're No Good

EPIC RECORDS
2203 Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Hangin' Around (Cnd)
9263 Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Hangin' Around
9278 Lover's Land/Goin' Down That Road
EG 7206 "Ersel Hickey In Lover's Land"
Lover's Land/Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Goin' Down That Road/Hangin' Around
9296 The Wedding/You Never Can Tell

9309 You Threw A Dart/Don't Be Afraid Of Love
9320 I Can't Love Another/People Gotta Talk
9357 Love In Bloom/What Do You Want (Picture Sleeve)

9395 Stardust Brought Me You/Another Wasted Day

KAPP RECORDS

372 Teardrops At Dawn/I Guess You Could Call It Love
406 Lips Of Rose/What Have You Done To Me

Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:51

APOLLO RECORDS
761 The Millionaire/Upside Down Love

LAURIE RECORDS

3165 Some Enchanted Evening/Put Your Mind At Ease

TOOT RECORDS

602 Blue Skies/Tryin' To Get To You

607 (Play On) Strings Of Gitarro/There Is Just One Time

JANUS RECORDS
151 Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Self Made Man

BLACK CIRCLE RECORDS

845 Oh, Lord Look What They've Done To Your Garden/Slidin' Home

UNIFAX RECORDS

100 How Unlucky Can You Get/Put It To Your Heart

RAMESES III RECORDS

2003 Waitin' For Baby/In Spite Of The Fool That I Am

1982 PARKWAY RECORDS
Let Me Be Your Radio/?

MAGNUM RECORDS

Country Tough/?

BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN
(KAPP KM2601) KM on the sleeve, KR on the label Going Down That Road/Love In Bloom/Wedding Day/You Threw A Dart/You Never Can Tell/Don't Be Afraid Of Love/I Guess You Could Call It Love/What Do You Want//Hanging Around/Another Wasted Day/Stardust Brought Me You/Blue Birds Over The Mountain/Lover's Land/Teardrops At Dawn/Self Made Man/Blue Birds Over The Mountain

BACK-TRAC RECORDS

18750 "The Rockin' Bluebird"
Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Hangin' Around/You Never Can Tell/Lover's Land/Goin' Down That Road/Love In Bloom/Shame On Me/What Do You Want?/Stardust Brought Me You/Don't Be Afraid Of Love

Ersel HICKEY Bcd156761299
ERSEL HICKEY BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN Bear Family Records - BCD 15676 Bluebirds Over The Mountain (US Version)/Hangin' Around/You Never Can Tell/The Wedding/Lover's Land/Goin' Down That Road/Love In Bloom/Another Wasted Day/You Threw A Dart/Shame On Me/What Do You Want?/Stardust Brought Me You (2)/Due Time (Incomplete)/A Mighty Square Love Affair/Teardrops At Dawn/Magical Love/I Guess You Could Call It Love/Lips Of Roses/What Have You Done To Me?/Stardust Brought Me You (1)/Roll On Little River (Unknown)/Don't Be Afraid Of Love/People Gotta Talk/I Can't Love Another/Bluebirds Over The Mountain (CAN Version)
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:51

Ersel HICKEY Rockinbluebird
ROCKIN' BLUEBIRD
Collectables Records - COL 6479
RELEASE DATE: 01/16/2001
Tracks: Bluebirds Over The Mountain, Hangin' Around, Goin' Down That Road, Lover's Land, You Never Can Tell, Wedding Day, Don't Be Afraid Of Love, You Threw A Dart, People Gotta Talk, I Can't Love Another, What Do You Want?, Love In Bloom, Stardust Brought Me You, Another Wasted Day, Shame On Me, Some Enchanted Evening, Put Your Mind At Ease, Rockabilly Dream, In Spite Of The Fool That I Am, Kicks

LINK:
Ersel HICKEY Rockinbb1299
http://www.jerryosborne.com/hickey.htm

Ersel HICKEY ErselclrFPlead
With Many Special Thanks to Ersel Hickey for his on-going support and understanding throughout this project.

Ersel HICKEY KnoxandBWgang0100
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:52

Ersel HICKEY ErselColorSitMike

Ersel HICKEY JLLEH2up
Photos: Kay Martin Source

Ersel HICKEY Ersel2Mbluebirds Ersel HICKEY Erselhangin

Ersel HICKEY Erselreccollect

Ersel HICKEY HermErselVLV6
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:53

Ersel HICKEY Erselwatch
ERSEL HICKEY WATCH! Now available. Click here.

Ersel Hickey in the National Press
Posted February 4, 2003 - For those interested in the man behind the most famous photo in rock 'n' roll, look for the latest issue of Outre magazine (arriving on newsstands across the country by mid February). Ersel Hickey's story is told by the man himself in a feature article written by Chicago's Ken Mottet. Photos from throughout his career(including shots from last summer's Green Bay spectacular) are included.
Outre (The Magazine of Ultramedia) is found at most major book stores in the motion picture magazine section. Look for the bright yellow cover featuring the post apocolyptic robot invasion scene.
-Ken Mottet, Chicago - gand@gand.com

Ersel HICKEY BobErselGB07102002
Bob Timmers and Ersel Hickey at the 2002 Green Bay Rockin' 50 Fest, July 10th.
Ersel went on stage the following day. -Photo courtesy: Donald Rieck

Ersel HICKEY Waveline
Invité
Invité

Ersel HICKEY Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Ersel HICKEY   Ersel HICKEY EmptyDim 28 Déc 2008, 14:56

GOIN' DOWN THAT ROAD enregistré à NEW YORK
le 20 MAI 1958 The GREAT ROCK N'ROLL