FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment :
Cartes Pokémon 151 : où trouver le ...
Voir le deal

Wanda Jackson says renamed alley fits her

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Wanda Jackson says renamed alley fits her Empty
MessageSujet: Wanda Jackson says renamed alley fits her   Wanda Jackson says renamed alley fits her EmptyJeu 06 Aoû 2009, 01:50

Trailblazing singer Wanda Jackson has made her way through a 55-year musical career spanning three genres.
She finds it fitting that the Oklahoma City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to name a Bricktown alley Wanda Jackson Way.

"I like that very much. Whoever thought that up was great,” Jackson said with a laugh by phone Tuesday afternoon.

Known as the Queen of Rockabilly, Jackson, 71, is widely regarded as the first woman to sing rock ’n’ roll. She tried the new style in 1956 at the urging of up-and-coming singer Elvis Presley, whom she toured with and dated. Her hits included "Let’s Have a Party” and "Fujiyama Mama.”

She started her career as a country artist, recording her first hit in 1954. She later returned to country and forged a gospel career. A perennial star in Europe and Japan, her rock career revived in the U.S. in the 1990s with the resurgence of rockabilly. She continues to perform worldwide.

"I’ve always loved Bricktown and now to have a street with my name on it there, that’s just wonderful,” she said. "Thank you, Oklahoma City, my home sweet home.”

Jackson was born in Maud in 1937. Her family moved to California when she was about 5 years old. When Jackson was about 10, they returned to Oklahoma and settled in Oklahoma City. She has made her home here since.

"To be honored by the place that you love is really them showing their love for me and the fact that I did stay here. And I’ve always talked a lot about Oklahoma around the world,” she said.

Jackson was inducted April 4 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

She is the fourth music star to have a Bricktown roadway renamed for them; Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill, legendary guitarist Charlie Christian and Grammy-winning alternative rockers The Flaming Lips are the previous honorees.

Wanda Jackson Way is north and parallel with E Reno Avenue and extends from S Oklahoma Avenue to S Mickey Mantle Drive. Wendell Goodman, Jackson’s husband and manager, said an official dedication will take place in a few weeks.

With her rockabilly roots, she finds it appropriate that her way is an alley.

"I was always known as an alley cat, so that’ll work,” she said.

more info on :
http://newsok.com/wanda-jackson-says-renamed-alley-fits-her/article/3387035?custom_click=pod_headline_ae
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Page 1 sur 1