FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-23%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G6 – Alimentation PC 100% modulaire 650W, 80+ ...
77.91 € 100.91 €
Voir le deal

Sleepy LABEEF

5 participants
AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:26

Sleepy LABEEF Labeef_sleepy
Sleepy LABEEF Labeef_s
Sleepy LABEEF F20 Chanteur US né Thomas Pausley LaBeef, le 20 juillet 1935 à Smackover (Arkansas). Sleepy LaBeef a débuté en 1955 en enregistrant du Gospel. Mais c'est en 1956, toujours au Goldstar Studio de Houston qu'il se met au Rockabilly. Il passe ensuite chez Starday (57), Mercury (57), Gulf (60), Crescent (61), Wayside (62), Finn (63), Picture (64 ?), Columbia (65), etc... Sleepy, à la voix profonde et grave a travaillé ensuite pour de nombreux labels, et avec un peu de chance, il aurait pu avoir une carrière internationale.
Sleepy LABEEF Uk20 Sleepy LaBeef became the ultimate rockabilly survivor, his live performances retaining the same raw power as he approached his eighth decade that they had in the years when he was among the music's pioneers. He was born Thomas Paulsley LaBeff in Smackover, AR. The 6'7" singer has heavily lidded eyes which make him appear half-asleep, hence his nickname. He was raised on a melon farm and grew up hearing both country and blues music. LaBeef moved to Houston at age 18, working at several odd jobs before beginning to sing gospel music on local radio shows. Soon he was working with a band of his own at local bars, and he appeared on the Houston Jamboree and Louisiana Hayride radio programs. The new rockabilly style fit his blazing voice perfectly, and in the late '50s he recorded about a dozen sides in that style for various labels. His first single, "I'm Through," was released in 1957 on Starday. Sometimes he was billed as Tommy LaBeff or Sleepy LaBeff. LaBeef moved to Nashville in 1964 and soon was signed to Columbia. In the 1960s he recorded mostly straight country music. His sixth single for the label, "Every Day," provided LaBeef with his chart debut in 1968, and after moving to Shelby Singleton's Plantation label in 1969, he hit the Top 20 with his version of "Blackland Farmer," Frankie Miller's heartfelt ode to the soil. The late '60s also saw the towering baritone's film debut in the bizarre Southern drive-in horror musical The Exotic Ones; LaBeef played a swamp monster.LaBeef moved to Sun Records in the mid-'70s after Singleton acquired that original institution of rockabilly, and there he reconnected with his rockabilly roots. Singles such as "Thunder Road," "There Ain't Much After Taxes," and "Boogie Woogie Country Girl" saw little chart action but helped form the beginnings of the LaBeef legend as his indefatigable touring exposed audiences to his wildman energy. LaBeef remains more popular in Europe than in the U.S. and appeared at England's Wembley Festival twice. Among his U.S. fans was soul-music historian Peter Guralnick, who saw LaBeef perform in Massachusetts in 1977 and praised his performances in a widely read article.That plus the general revival of rockabilly around 1980 at the hands of such groups as the Stray Cats paved the way for the emergence of Sleepy LaBeef, rockabilly revivalist.He signed to Rounder in 1981 and released It Ain't What You Eat (It's the Way How You Chew It) in the U.S. and in Europe. The live album Nothin' but the Truth gave CD buyers a taste of the booming vocals and slashing guitar that had made LaBeef a prime club attraction. LaBeef returned to regular recording in the mid-'90s, releasing several more albums on Rounder: Strange Things Happening (1994) and I'll Never Lay My Guitar Down (1996) contained a variety of country and blues tunes and revealed the depth of LaBeef's musical experiences. Four years later, he issued Tomorrow Never Comes, which featured guest vocals from Maria Muldaur. Compilations of the numerous unissued tracks from earlier in LaBeef's career began to surface in the early 2000s, and by that time Sleepy was nothing less than a rockabilly legend.
http://www.sleepylabeef.com
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/SleepyLB.html

BABY LET'S PLAY HOUSE Sleepy LABEEF Speaker (unissued 1956)
FRANKIE'S MAN JOHNNY Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
LITTLE BIT MORE Sleepy LABEEF Speaker Sleepy LABEEF Livre (Starday unissued 1957)
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:27

DISCOGRAPHIE
Singles

05/1957SP STARDAY 45-292 (US)I'm Through Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / All Alone Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
05/1957SP MERCURY / STARDAY 71112x45 (US)I'm Through Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / All Alone Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
09/1957SP MERCURY / STARDAY 71119x45 (US)All The Time Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Lonely Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
10/1960SP GULF G-62760/1 (US)Found Out Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Can't Get You Off My Mind Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
05/1961SP CRESCENT 102 (US)Sleepy LABEEF & His VERSATILES - Turn Me Loose Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Ridin' Fence
1962SP WAYSIDE 1651/2 (US)Sleepy LABEEF & The VERSATILES - Ride On Josephine Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Walkin' Slowly Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
1963SP WAYSIDE 1653/4 (US)Tommy LABEFF & His VERSATILES - Tore Up Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Lonely Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
1963SP FINN 1690/1 (US)Tommy LABEFF - Drink Up And Go Home / Teardrops On A Rose
196?SP PICTURE 1937 (US)Ride On Josephine Sleepy LABEEF Speaker / Lonely Sleepy LABEEF Speaker
1965SP COLUMBIA 4-43452 (US)You Can't Catch Me / Everybody's Got To Have Somebody
07/1966SP COLUMBIA 4-43709 (US)A Man In My Position / Drinking Again
11/1966SP COLUMBIA 4-43875 (US)I'm Too Broke (To Pay Attention) / I Feel A Lot More Like I Do Now
Albums

1974LP 12" SUN 130 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Sun_130THE BULL'S NIGHT OUT - Too Much Monkey Business / Buying A Book / Back Of His Hand / Birds Of All Nations / Blackland Farmer / Me And Bobby Mc Gee / Boom, Boom, Boom / It Ain't Sanitary / Honey Hush / A Hundred Pounds Of Lovin' / Asphalt Cowboy
1976LP 12" SUN 138 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Sun_138WESTERN GOLD - Mule Train / Cool Water / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Strawberry Roan / High Noon / Streets Of Laredo / Wagon Wheels / Home On The Range / Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie / Ghost Riders In The Sky
1978LP 12" SUN 1004 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Sun_1004ROCKABILLY 1977 - Let's Turn Back The Years / Good Rockin' Boogie / From A Jack To A King / Stay All Night / Stay A Little Longer / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Send Me Some Lovin' / Corina, Corina / Long Tall Texan / You Can Have Her / Raining In My Heart / I'll Keep On Lovin' You / Baby Let's Play House / Mathilda / Matchbox / I'm The Man / Young Fashion Ways / What Am I Living For / Put Your Arms Around Me / Polk Salad Annie
1978LP 12" CHARLY CR 30145 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Charly_30145BEEFY ROCKABILLY - Good Rockin' Boogie / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Send Me Some Lovin' / Corine, Corina / Matchbox / Party Doll / Baby Let's Play House / Too Much Monkey Business / Roll Over Beethoven / You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover / Boom Boom Boom / Honey Hush / I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday / Polk Salad Annie
1979LP 12" BARON LP-102 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Baron_102EARLY, RARE, AND ROCKIN' SIDES - Walkin' Slowly / Lonely / Don't Make Me Go / Can't Get You Off My Mind / The Ways Of A Woman In Love / The Ballad Of A Teenage Queen / Lonely / Somebody's Been Beating My Time / Ride On Josephine / Found Out / Turn Me Loose / Ride On Josephine / Tore Up / Baby Let's Play House
1979LP 12" SUN 1014 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Sun_1014DOWNHOME ROCKABILLY - Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Red Hot / Jack And Jill Boogie / Mystery Train / Rock And Roll Ruby / Blues Stay Away From Me / Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll / Tore Up / Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor / There Is Something On Your Mind / Shotgun Boogie / Big Boss Man
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:27

1979LP 12" CHARLY CR 30172 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Wanted.jpegDOWNHOME ROCKABILLY - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor / Tore Up / Flyin' Saucer Rock & Roll / Red Hot / I'm Ready If You're Willing / I'm Coming Home / I'm A One Woman Man / Shot-Gun Boogie / Rock & Roll Ruby / Big Boss Man / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Mystery Train / Something On Your Mind / Jack & Jill Boogie / Blues Stay Away From Me
1979LP 12" CHARLY CRL 5017 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Charly_5017ROCKABILLY HEAVYWEIGHT - (Sleepy LABEEF & The DAVE TRAVIS BAD RIVER BAND) - Sick & Tired / Mind Your Own Business / Lonesome For A Letter / Detour / Shame, Shame, Shame / Smoking Cigarettes & Drinking Coffee Blues / Cut Across Shorty / I'm Feeling Sorry / Honky Tonk Man / My Sweet Love Ain't Around / If You Don't Love Me, Somebody Else Will / Milk Cow Blues / Ride, Ride, Ride / Are You Teasing Me / Laboeuf's Cajun Boogie / Go Ahead On Baby
1979LP 10" ACE 10 CH-16 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Wanted.jpegSLEEPY LABEEF AND FRIENDS - Lonely / I Walk The Line / All Alone / I'm Through / Bell Hop Blues / I'm Hobo / I Can't Find The Doorknob / Sadie / Gee Whiz
1979LP 12" ACE / CHISWICK 17.1596/1 (S)Sleepy LABEEF Ace_1596SLEEPY LABEEF AND FRIENDS - Lonely / I Walk The Line / All Alone / I'm Through / Bell Hop Blues / I'm Hobo / I Can't Find The Doorknob / Sadie / Gee Whiz
02/1980LP 12" CHARLY CR 30181 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Charly_30181EARLY, RARE, AND ROCKIN' SIDES - Walkin' Slowly / Lonely / Don't Make Me Go / Can't Get You Off My Mind / The Ways Of A Woman In Love / The Ballad Of A Teenage Queen / Somebody's Been Beating My Time / Ride On Josephine / I Found Out / Turn Me Loose / Ride On Josephine (#2) / Tore Up / Baby Let's Play House
1980LP 12" CHARLY 17-CH18 (S)Sleepy LABEEF Charly_18DOWNHOME ROCKABILLY - Something On Your Mind / Rock And Roll Ruby / Big Boss Man / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Mystery Train / Jack And Jill Boogie / Blues Stay Away From Me / Tonk Hardwood Floor / Tore Up / Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll / Red Hot / I'm Ready If You're Willing / I'm Coming Home / Shotgun Boogie
02/1992CD ROUNDER CD 3072 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Rounder_3072NOTHIN' BUT THE TRUTH - Tore Up Over You / Boogie At The Wayside Lounge / How Do You Talk To A Baby? / Boogie Woogie Country Man / Milk Cow Blues / Worried Man Blues / Just Pickin' / Let's Talk About Us / Gunslinger / My Toot-Toot / Ring of Fire / Medley : Jambalaya - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Let's Turn Back The Years - Hey Good Looking - Folsom Prison Blues
03/1994CD ROUNDER CD 3129 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Rounder_3129STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING - Sittin' On Top Of The World / Playboy / Young Fashioned Ways / Waltz Across Texas / I'll Be There / I'll Keep On Loving You / Strange Things Happening / Trying To Get To You / You're My Baby / Life Turned Her That Way / Standing In The Need Of Prayer / Just Call Me Lonesome / Inside Looking Out / Stagger Love
11/1995CD SUN CD 7020-2 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Sun_7020THE HUMAN JUKEBOX - Good Rockin' Boogie / Boom Boom Boom / Blues Stay Away From Me / Tore Up / There Is Something On Your Mind / Shotgun Boogie / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Faded Love / Corine Corina / Me And Bobby McGee / Raining In My Heart / Blackland Farmer
06/1996CD ROUNDER CD 3142 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Rounder_3142I'LL NEVER LAY MY GUITAR DOWN - Treat Me Like A Dog / Roosevelt & Ira Lee / Hillbilly Guitar Boogie / Little Boy Sad / Sweet Thang / Sick & Tired / Columbus Stockade Blues / You Know I Love You / I'm Coming Home / Little Old Wine Drinker Me / The Open Do
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:28

Sleepy LABEEF Bf_15662LARGER THAN LIFE :

CD 1 : Baby Let's Play House / Don't Make Me Go / All Alone / I'm Through / Lonely / All The Time / All The Time / Lonely / I Ain't Gonna Take It / Little Bit More / Ballad Of Teenage Queen / You're So Easy To Love / I Wish I Was The Moon / The Ways Of A Woman In Love / Home Of The Blues / You're The Nearest Thing To Heaven / Guess Things Happen That Way / Can't Get You Off Of My Mind / I Found Out / Turn Me Lose / Ridin' Fence / Ride On Josephine / Walkin' Slowly / Tore Up / Lonely / Ride On Josephine / Lonely / Just A Closer Walk With Thee / I Won't Have To Cross Jordan Alone / Drink Up And Go Home / Teardrop On A Rose / A Long Time To Forget
CD 2 : Goodnight Irene / Leave Me Alone With The Blues / Oh So Many Years / Somebody's Been Beatin' My Time / Bring A Around Rosie / Completly Destroyed / Another Mile To Go / This New Love / You Can't Catch Me / Everybody's Got To Have Somebody (To Love) / Shame, Shame, Shame / Ain't Got No Home / I Feel A Lot More Like I Do Now / I'm Too Broke (To Pay Attention) / Drinking Again / A Man In My Position / Go Ahead On / Schneider / Sure Beats The Heck Outta' Settlin' Down / Too Young To Die / Two Hundred Pounds Of Hurt / If I Go Right, I'm Wrong / Everyday / Man Alone / Too Much Monkey Business / Sixteen Tons / Got You On My Mind / Birds Of All Nations / The Back Of His Hand / Asphalt Cowboy / Blackland Farmer
CD 3 : She's Bringin' Me Down / Buying A Book / Me And Bobby Macgee / Boom, Boom, Boom / It Ain't Sanitary / Honey Hush / A Hundred Pounds Of Lovin' / Ballad Of Thunder Road / I'm Ragged But I'm Right / Tender Years / The Other Side Of You / Stormy Monday Blues / Cool Water / Mule Train / Streets Of Laredo / Ghost Riders In The Sky / Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Strawberry Roan / High Noon / Wagon Wheels / Home on The Range / There Ain't Much After Taxes / Good Rockin' Boogie / Roll Over Beethoven / Party Doll / I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday
CD 4 : You Can Have Her / Mathilda / Faded Love / From A Jack To A King / Send Me Some Lovin' / You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover / Young Fashioned Ways / Sittin' On Top Of The World / Matchbox / Corine, Corina / Let's Turn Back The Years / What Am I Living For / Reconsider Baby / Raining In My Heart / Put Your Arms Around Me / Elvira / Polk Salad Annie / I'm The Man / Queen Of The Silver Dollar / Long Tall Texan / Stay All Night, Stay A Little Longer / Baby, Let's Play House / Tall Oak Tree / Take Me Back To Tulsa / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / I'll Keep On Loving You
CD 5 : Won't Have To Cross Jordan Alone / Just A Closer Walk With Thee / Satisfied / Ezekiel's Boneyard / I Saw The Light / I'll Never Let The Devil Win / This Train / I'll Be Somewhere Listening / I Feel Like Traveling On / The Old Country Church / Standing In The Shadows / Walk And Talk With My Lord / Rock And Roll Ruby / Big Boss Man / I'm Ready If You're Willing / I'm Coming Home / I'm A One-Woman Man / Shot-Gun Boogie / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Mystery Train / There Is Something On Your Mind / Jack And Jill Boogie / Blues Stay Away From Me / Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor / Tore Up / Flying Saucers Rock And Roll / Red Hot
CD 6 : Honky Tonk Man / My Sweet Love Ain't Around / If You Don't Love Me, Someone Else Will / Milk Cow Blues / Ride, Ride, Ride / Are You Teasing Me / Laboeuf's Cajun Boogie (Home Country Blues) / Go Ahead On Baby / Sick And Tired / Mind Your Own Business / Lonesome For A Letter / Detour / Shame, Shame, Shame / Cigarettes And Coffee Blues / Cut Across Shorty / I'm Feelin' Sorry
09/1997CD CHARLY 8203 (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Charly_8203A ROCKIN' DECADE - Too Much Monkey Business / Blackland Farmer / Boom, Boom, Boom / Honey Hush / Stormy Monday / Good Rockin' Boogie / Roll Over Beethoven / You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover / Matchbox / What Am I Living For? / Baby Let's Play House / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Rock & Roll Ruby / Big Boss Man / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Mystery Train / Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor / Tore Up / Flying Saucers Rock & Roll / Red Hot / Honky Tonk Man / Jack And Jill Boogie / Shotgun Boogie / Go Ahead On Baby / Milk Cow Blues / Shame, Shame, Shame
01/1999CD COLLECTABLES 6017 (US)Sleepy LABEEF Collectables_6017FLYING SAUCERS ROCK 'N' ROLL : THE VERY BEST OF SLEPPY LABEEF - Flying Saucers Rock & Roll / Milk Cow Blues / Birds Of All Nations / Honky Tonk Man / Blues Stay Away From Me / Me And Bobby McGee / There Is Something On Your Mind / Red Hot / Asphalt Cowboy / It Ain't Sanitary / Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor / Shotgun Boogie / LaBeef's Cajun Boogie / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Jack And Jill Boogie / Big Boss Man / Tore Up / Mystery Train / Buying A Book / Rock & Roll Ruby / Honey Hush / Boom, Boom, Boom / Too Much Monkey Business / Blackland Farmer
04/1999CD SONY 28903 (US)Sleepy LABEEF SonyROAD WARRIOR - Every Day / Go Ahead On Baby / I'm Too Broke (To Pay Attention) / Everybody's Got To Have Somebody (To Love) / You Can't Catch Me / Completely Destroyed / I Feel A Lot More Like I Do Now / If I Go Right I'm Wrong / Sure Beats The Heck Outta Settlin' Down / A Man In My Position
10/1999CD COLLECTABLES 6435 (US)Sleepy LABEEF CollectablesTHE BULL'S NIGHT OUT & WESTERN GOLD - Too Much Monkey Business / Buying A Book / Back Of His Hand / Birds Of All Nations / Blackland Farmer / Me And Bobby McGee / Boom, Boom, Boom / It Ain't Sanitary / Honey Hush / Hundred Pounds Of Lovin' / Asphalt Cowboy / Mule Train / Cool Water / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Strawberry Roan / High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me) / Streets of Laredo / Wagon Wheels / Home On The Range / Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie / (Ghost) Riders In The Sky
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:29

2000CD M.C. 40 (US)Sleepy LABEEF McTOMORROW NEVER COMES - Detour / Too Much Monkey Business / I Want To Be Loved / Will The Circle Be Unbroken / The Blues Come Around / Tomorrow Never Comes / Wipeout / Raining In My Heart / Polk Salad Annie / Take My Heart / Honey Hush / Rolling In My Sweet Baby's Arms / Sometimes / Low Down Dog
01/2001CD BULLSEYE BLUES 619631 (US)Sleepy LABEEF BullseyeROCKABILLY BLUES - Bottle Up And Go / Bright Lights, Big City / Fool About You / Mannish Boy / Long Tail Sally / Got You On My Mind / Rooster Blues / Night Train to Memphis / Sugar Sweet / Make Room For The Blues / This Train / Rip It Up
2004CD SNAPPER SNAP 200 CD (UK)Sleepy LABEEF Snapper_200A ROCKIN' DECADE - Too Much Monkey Business / Blackland Farmer / Boom, Boom, Boom / Honey Hush / Stormy Monday Blues / Good Rocking Boogie / Roll Over, Beethoven / You Can't Judge A Book By it's Cover / Matchbox / What Am I Living For / Baby, Let's Play House / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Rock 'n' Roll Ruby / Big Boss Man / Boogie Woogie Country Girl / Mystery Train / Honky-Tonk Hardwood Floor / Tore Up / Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll / Red Hot / Honky-Tonk Man / Jack And Jill Boogie / Shotgun Boogie / Go Ahead On Baby / Milk Cow Blues / Shame, Shame, Shame
08/2008CD BEAR FAMILY BCD 15981 (D)Sleepy LABEEF Bf_15981SLEEPY ROCKS - All The Time / I'm Through / Baby Let's Play House / All Alone / I Ain't Gonna Take It / Lonely / Don't Make Me Go / Little Bit More (alt) / Ballad Of A Teenage Queen / Turn Me Loose / You're So Easy To Love / Ridin' Fence / The Ways Of A Woman In Love / Walkin' Slowly / Ride On Josephine / Home Of The Blues / Tore Up / Little Bit More / You're The Nearest Thing To Heaven / Goodnight Irene / Guess Things Happen That Way / Can't Get You Off Of My Mind / I Found Out / You Can't Catch Me / Shame, Shame, Shame / Ain't Got No Home / Too Much Monkey Business / Honey Hush / Good Rockin' Boogie / Roll Over Beethoven / I'm Coming Home / Shot-Gun Boogie / Honky Tonk Man / Lonesome For A Letter / Ride On Josephine
©️ Rocky Productions 31/01/2009
E-Mail : rocky-52@orange.fr
Messenger : gerardlambert52@hotmail.com
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:30

LaBeff, Tommy

Full name Thomas Paulsley LaBeff. Born 1935 near Smackover, Ark. Recorded later as Sleepy LaBeef.

References:
Feature article and sessionography in issue 18 (1978) of New Kommotion.
Feature article and sessionography in issue 22 (1979) of New Kommotion.

Original Releases

Discography is intended to be complete through 1964
Date & Source Label & Number V Titles {& References to LP/CD List} As By Matrix Numbers
1957/May
(Bb est.)
Starday 45-292 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss I'm Through {d,j,l,p,q,u, P}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss All Alone {d,q,u}
1957/May 13
Bb c&w rev.
Mercury-Starday 71112x45 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss I'm Through {v, H,K}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss All Alone {b,h,v, K}
YW14959
YW14958
1957/Sept. 9
Bb c&w rev.
Mercury-Starday 71179x45 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss All The Time {b,g,h,t,v, B,G,I,K,R}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Lonely {d,v, K,N}
YW14976
YW14975
(est.)
Dixie (mail) 530 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Pic Ballad Of A Teen Age Queen
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Eskimo Pie
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Oh Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Pic One Week Later
Sleepy LABEEF Rx She's No Angel
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Truly I Love You
B
B
B
A
A
A
(est.)
Dixie (mail) 533 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Pic Guess Things Happen That Way {K}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Crying Over You
Sleepy LABEEF Rx It's A Little More Like Heaven
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Color Of The Blues
Sleepy LABEEF Rx What This Old World Needs
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Nothing Can Stop Me
A
A
A
B
B
B
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:31

1960/Oct.
BMI clear.
Gulf G-62760/1 Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Ss Found Out {e,v, K,N}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Ss Can't Get You Off My Mind {e,v, K,N}
G-62761
G-62760
1961/May
(est.)
Crescent Prod. 102 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Turn Me Loose {e,v,x, K,L,N,P}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Ridin' Fence {v, K,M}
1962-63
mx series
Wayside 1651/2 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Ride On Josephine {e,v,w, K,N,O}
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Ss Walkin' Slowly {e,v, K,N}
1962-63
mx series
Wayside 1653/4 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Tore Up {a,e,s,v,y, C,D,F,K,N}
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Lonely {e,v, N}
mx series
Finn 1690/1 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Pic Drink Up And Go Home
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Teardrops On A Rose

Picture 1937 Sleepy LABEEF V2 Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Ride On Josephine {e, N}
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Pic Sleepy LABEEF Ss Lonely {e,v}
[no mx]
[no mx]
(Bb est.)
Columbia 4-43452 Sleepy LABEEF R2 You Can't Catch Me {i,r, A,K}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Everybody's Got To Have Somebody (To Love)
JZSP-111939
JZSP-111940
1966/July
(Bb est.)
Columbia 4-43709 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF Rx A Man In My Position
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Drinking Again
JZSP 114572
JZSP 114571
1966/Nov.
(Bb est.)
Columbia 4-43875 Sleepy LABEEF V1 Sleepy LABEEF Rx I'm Too Broke (To Pay Attention)
Sleepy LABEEF Rx I Feel A Lot More Like I Do Now

Tops LP cut Sleepy LABEEF Rx The Ballad Of A Teenage Queen {e, K}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx The Ways Of A Woman In Love {e,v, K,N}
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:31

Additional Tracks on Comps
[unissued] Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Ss Baby Let's Play House {e,v, K,N}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Don't Make Me Go {e,v, K,N}

[unissued] Sleepy LABEEF Rx Sleepy LABEEF Ss Somebody's Been Beating My Time {e,v, N}

[unissued] Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Ss All The Time [alt. vers.] {d,k,m,n,v,z, J}
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Ss I Ain't Gonna Take It {g,q,u,v, K}
Sleepy LABEEF R2 Sleepy LABEEF Ss Little Bit More [vers. 1] {g,j,l,n,o,p,q,u,v, K,Q,S}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Little Bit More [vers. 2] {K}
Sleepy LABEEF R1 Shame, Shame, Shame {i,r, K}

[need info] Sleepy LABEEF Rx Ain't Going To Take It {E}
Sleepy LABEEF Rx Ride On Josephine [alt. vers.] {v}

References in "As By" Column:

1. as by Tommy LaBeff [!!]
  2. as by Sleepy LaBeff [!!]
  3. by Dee Mullins
  4. by Pat & Dee
  5. by Patsy Timmons
  6. by Wes Holly
  7. by Johnny Mathis
  8. by George Jones
  9. by Jimmy Dean
  10. as by Sleepy LaBeff [!!] And His Versatiles
  11. as by Sleepy LaBeff [!!] And The Versatiles
  12. as by Tommy LaBeff [!!] And His Versatiles
  13. as by Sleepy LaBeef

Other Notes:

• Starday 292 and Mercury-Starday 71112 are aurally identical.
  • Note: chronology uncertain.
  • SEE ALSO: Half Brothers
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:32

Collector-Oriented Compilation LPs and CDs Containing Tracks

a. Knockville 4401 (lp) Rock And Roll for Collectors, Vol. 2
b. Redita [1st series] 112 (lp) I Want A Rock & Roll Guitar

c. Charly CR 30128 (lp) Sun - The Roots Of Rock, Vol. 13: Rockabilly Sundown

d. Ace CH 16 (10-in. lp) Sleepy La Beef And Friends
e. Baron 102 (lp) Early, Rare, & Rockin' Sides / Sleepy LaBeef
f. Warwick WW 5060 (lp) Rockabilly Dynamite

g. Ace CH 19 (10-in. lp) Kings Of Rockabilly, Vol. 2
h. Redita [2nd series] 112 (lp) I Want A Rock & Roll Guitar

i. Epic EG 37621 (lp) Rockabilly Stars, Vol. 2

j. Ace 45 (lp) The Best Of Ace Rockabilly

k. Cascade DROP 1003 (lp) Twenty Great Rockabilly Hits Of The 50's

l. Cascade DROP 1009 (lp) Twenty Great Rockabilly Hits Of The 50's

m. Ace CH 191 (lp) Rockabilly Shakeout

n. Ace CDCH 218 (cd) The Fifties: Rockabilly Fever
o. Ace CH 221 (lp) Rock 'N' Roll Party

p. Ace CDCHD 311 (cd) Rarest Rockabilly & Hillbilly Boogie ; The Best Of Ace Rockabilly
q. SD 810 (lp) Rockin' Daddy
Invité
Invité

Sleepy LABEEF Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Sleepy LABEEF   Sleepy LABEEF EmptyDim 09 Aoû 2009, 11:32

r. CBS Special Products A 37621 (cd) Rockabilly Stars, Vol. 2

s. Club 013 (lp) Grab This And Dance, Vol. 13
t. Texas Gold TG 931 (cd) The Starday Story, Vol. 1
u. Texas Gold TG 932 (cd) The Starday Story, Vol. 2

v. Eagle 90115 (cd) Let's Turn Back The Years / Sleepy LaBeef

w. Buffalo Bop Bb-CD 55044 (cd) Hot Rod Rumble
x. Collectables COL 5563 (cd) Bop City: Red Hot Early Rock
y. Greasy GR 004 (lp) Greasy Rock 'N' Roll, Vol. 4
z. Lucky CDLR 808 (cd) Rockabilly Gold, Vol. 8
A. [FRF?] FRF 307 (cd) Rockabilly: The Life, Times & Music Series

B. Bear Family BCD 16101 (cd) That'll Flat Git It, Vol. 11 (Mercury)
C. Mr. DJ 101 (cd) Cruisin' Classics, Vol. 1

D. Buffalo Bop Bb-CD 55091 (cd) Move On

E. Ace CDCHD 815 (cd) Them Rockabilly Cats
F. Cleopatra 1163 (cd) Rock 'N' Roll & Rock-A-Billy Inferno

G. Smith & Co. SCCD 1125 (cd) Great Rockabilly: Just About As Good As It Gets!

H. Smith & Co. SCCD 1145 (cd) Great Rockabilly: Just About As Good As It Gets!, Vol. 2

I. Fantastic Voyage FVTD 017 (cd) Good Rockin' Tonight: Red Hot Rockabilly

Year Unknown

J. Ace CDCH 191 (cd) Rockabilly Shakeout
K. Bear Family BCD 15981 (cd) Sleepy Rocks / Sleepy LaBeef
L. Bop BOP- 003 (cd) Saturday Night On Bop Street, Vol. 3
M. Cash CS 01 (cd) Cash On The Barrelhead
N. Charly CR 30181 (lp) Early, Rare, And Rockin' Sides / Sleepy LaBeef
O. Folkline 274- 424 (cd) Hod-Rod Rockabilly
P. Knockville 4403 (lp) Rock And Roll for Collectors, Vol. 3
Q. Lucky CDLR 815 (cd) Rockabilly Gold, Vol. 15
R. Memphis 7033 (cd) They Thought They Were Elvis: Vocal Clones, Vol. 1
S. Mustang MUST 4 (cd) Rockabilly & Hillbilly Bop, Vol. 4: Mad Dog In Town